The 5 Biggest Perks of Living With Your Best Friends in an Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As a junior in Greek Life, I’ve never had too much space to myself. I went from dorm living, to a triple in a sorority house and am now finally living in an apartment. I finally have a room that I can call my own. The years that I spent with a roommate (or two) in the same room were seriously some of the best, but sharing a space with my BFFs while also having a door I can close is amazing too – NGL. Here are 5 reasons why living in apartments with your friends is the best of both worlds.

1. You have a distinguished common space, as well as your own space.

While a bedroom with three beds can be comfy and fun, privacy doesn’t go too far. An apartment that you share with one, two or even five of your best friends means that you can hang out with everyone on the couch whenever you want, but also have time to yourself in your  room.

2.Couch time is the best time.

Furniture in your living space is a luxury that most dorms and sorority houses don’t allow. Of course there are multiple beds, dressers and desks, but a couch, let alone a TV, is often out of the question. Having a couch means hosting the most epic of movie nights with your friends (AKA the people who won’t judge you for crying during the scary parts).

3.More friends = more food.

Although cooking is by far the biggest perk of living in an apartment, cooking with friends may take the top spot. There is nothing quite like sharing the kitchen with all of your friends – some more culinary-challenged than others – and eating the finished result together. Use each other’s ingredients, share the kitchen and enjoy what you’ve made (with tender love and care, duh) with your best friends.

4.Decorating your home.

Keyword being “home.” This is one of your first big girl moments, and experiencing it with friends is definitely the best part. Have some fun with décor for the kitchen and other living spaces. Express each of your roommate’s personalities and interests, and put in the effort you need to call this a home because it’s a big first.

5. So many big beds.

Did I mention BIG beds?! The standard twin XL college bed isn’t good for anybody. Apartments come with larger beds, as well as multiple rooms to put them in. Take advantage of being able to cuddle in your roomie’s bed for some late night pillow talk or a full-on slumber party. I’m telling you, full size beds simply mean the more the merrier.

Although apartment life requires doing your own dishes, buying your own groceries, and taking care of appliances, there’s no better way to do it than with your friends.

Hi everybody! I'm Kerry, a freshman at UW-Madison majoring in Journalism with a Digital Studies certificate. I am passionate about writing about all things beauty, love, and many other fascinating facets of life. I'd love for you to join me as I write about my journey through college!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!