10 Reasons to Love Your Body… Unconditionally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We all know what it’s like to hit puberty and suddenly become hyper aware of what our bodies look like… especially in comparison to other girls. No matter how many times our friends and family tell us we are beautiful, many girls (and we all have these friends if we are not them ourselves) will not believe it. Many of us will eventually move past this as we progress from a B cup to a C cup or we discover Pro-Activ. For some of us it is not that simple. So, here is a little advice (mostly serious) for those of you who have reached Uni and are still struggling with your body image, whatever the reason. 

1. You Only Get One. Regardless of what your body looks like, it was made for you. It is the body that you will travel the world in, fall in love in, and grow old in. All these wonderful moments make you beautiful because they are a part of you.  
  2. Surgery is Expensive and DangerousLet’s be honest… most of us do not have the nerve or the funds to go under the knife. I myself have a phobia of knives, but that’s a different story. Life is not a cheesy B movie and there is no sugar daddy coming to pay for the surgery either. You are stuck with your body so you may as well learn to love it. 
  3. Carbs are Your One True Love. No matter how many times you try to quit the chips or sacrifice your favourite frozen yogurt place… you know it’s going to last 21 days tops. If your body is made of your favourite food, how could you not love it?? 
  4. He Loves it… Why Shouldn’t You? This one is particularly for those of you with a man. HE loves your body and he tells you that you’re beautiful. So why do you not believe him? Why do you fell self-conscious every time another pretty girl walks by? Either he’s a veeeery convincing and dedicated liar or you need to accept the truth- you are beautiful. 
  5. You Always Wanted A Real Life Barbie. And you can’t be your own dress up doll because…? You are finally old enough to play with all that junk that has filled your mum’s drawers since you were small. You can wear whatever you want, whenever you want. You can change your look or your hair colour at any time. Which means you just became your own ultimate toy.  
  6. You Owe It To Them. Women have more freedom today than they have had at any point in all of history. Women like Nellie McClung and Anna Howard Shaw did not fight for their daughters so that their daughters could let anything hold them back. A lack of self-confidence will prevent you from grasping every opportunity possible. Be proud of your body and everything you do with it. 
  7. If You Didn’t Care When You Were 6, Why Do You Care Now? Take a trip back to tutu land and remember what it is like to live life without worrying about what you look like. You are the same person you were then… but less pint sized ;) Dress up in one of those ridiculous outfits your mum let you wear to school and laugh over how you look. Maybe you will take yourself a little less seriously. 
  8. Fun House Mirrors. We all know that “Victoria’s Secret” is that they installed them in their stores. Need I say more? A mirror can only tell you so much about how you look because they distort your appearance (I will not explain the complicated optics of it but merely require you to believe me blindly).  Go by how you feel in your body, not how you THINK it looks. It is a well-known fact that we always look better than we think, especially when we are being self-critical. 
  9. Life Has No Photo-Shop Option. If you have not subscribed to Upworthy, you need to. Stop comparing yourself to girls in magazines. No one looks like that, and most of the models are 12 and have not hit puberty. You are a woman, not a child. Start loving the epic symbol of femininity that is now yours.  
  10. It’s Your Body, so Own ItYou are the only person with the right to judge your body. But do you really need to? Will it make you healthier or happier? No. If you want to lose weight by all means go to the gym and eat healthier. Koodos to you. If you don’t want to or can’t find the motivation to do either one of those things, who cares??? Do not let anyone tell you that you are anything less than beautiful. Your waistband does not make you beautiful, but your confidence does.
My name is Kenyon Born. I am in my fourth year at Western University, pursuing an Honours Specialization in English Language and Literature. I am a very guilty shopaholic and an OPI addict. I would wear high heels and full make-up every day if I had the time because dress-up is still my favourite game. My pet peeves are rude or inconsiderate people, drive-thrus and people who use elevators if they don't need them.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!