ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Stay Healthy at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Ten hours of deep sleep, nutritious meals three times a day, and plenty of time to relax and destress. What does this describe? The antithesis of college. It’s easy to forget about keeping your immune system up and your overall health in good condition when your mind is consumed with studying for that calc exam, finding a cute outfit to wear Saturday night and wondering whether you’ll ever know how to get anywhere without using the WUSTL Map app.

However, once you get that lingering freshman plague that just does not disappear, you’ll wish you had taken better care of your body. Here are some easy tips to make sure your immune system is on your side when that cold is going around your floor.

1) Drink lots of water

At Wash U, a Camelbak water bottle is as commonly toted as a North Face backpack. The benefits of water are abundant, from flushing toxins to aiding in the production of lymph (which carries immune system cells throughout the body). Drinking plenty of water will help avoid sickness as well as expedite the process of it going away. Added bonus: it helps keep your skin looking clear and radiant.

2) Nap….a lot.

Getting a good night of sleep is an extremely rare occasion. Getting a good nap: not so scarce. Between having hours upon hours of homework and going out until the wee hours of the night, an early bedtime is very difficult to achieve. Naps in between classes or as breaks when doing work increase your energy levels tenfold and compensate for the lack of hours spent snoozing at night.

3) Eat plentifully

Getting meals in is not merely an option you can opt out of. Finding food you like at college is incredibly difficult (personally I have had to buy a second meal many times after being unsatisfied by the first) but it’s crucial to stay nourished. Test out different dishes and stay cognizant of the nutritious values in the foods you’re eating. Taking a multivitamin supplement to get in vitamins and iron is never a bad idea.

4) Wash your hands

College is germy. People are constantly touching their faces, each other, the tables and desks you sit at, door handles, and much more. Living in close proximity to so many people means constant physical interactions with people who could very likely be carrying an illness you would not want to get. Wash your hands as often as possible and carry Bed Bath and Beyond’s cookie dough-scented hand sanitizer if you want to kill germs and tempt your senses all at the same time.

5) Maintain stress

Stress is inevitable in such a high-pressure, demanding environment, but keeping tabs on it and finding ways to eliminate it as much as possible will help maintain good physical health. Do things just for you (not just to build an impressive resume or advance your studies in a class) that make you happy. Put things into perspective and realize that many things are of trivial importance compared to your well-being.  

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.