Wake 101: The Major Problem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It can be very challenging to be at a place like Wake Forest, where it seems as though everyone is either Pre-Med or Pre-Business. Without downplaying the ambition of students who are on these tracks – seriously, all power to you – what I think many students fail to notice is that there are over 70 majors and minors offered at Wake for a reason; the real world consists of more than simply lab coats and business suits. As registration for the spring semester approaches, weve got to become more aware of what we want and who we are.

For me personally, I came to Wake Forest with the plans of being a biology major. It took me half a semester of lab reports and a severe mental breakdown in the middle of Jimmy Johns to realize that while I may be ‘goodat biology and chemistry, these arent topics that Im passionate about. In fact, thinking about chemistry makes me want to cry most of the time – would I really want to do this for the rest of my life? However, as I began to think about veering away from the seemingly safe and promising path of medicine, I was paralyzed with images of a broke, unemployed 30-year-old version of myself living in a basement.

It took many difficult conversations with graduates (a.k.a. Mom and Dad) and with myself to come to the conclusion that nothing in life is guaranteed; you can do everything right – choose the ‘rightmajor, get the ‘rightinternship, and eventually land the ‘rightjob – and still not be fulfilled. Why not take the time in college to register for classes that might not meet the ‘rightstandards for prestigious career goals, but instead feel right for you as a person? Everything in life is a risk; passion betters your odds. 

Take a few moments to honestly reflect on the reasons why youre choosing this specific set of classes. Do you love these classes, or do you simply feel as though they sound the most impressive or look the best on paper? Are you going to be challenged by these classes in a positive, constructive way, or are you already dreading the thought of getting through another semester?

Think about who youre taking these classes for. Are you working to live up to your parentsexpectations? Do you feel as though you must match up with the academics of your peers? Often times, we forget that its not our parents or other students who will be taking these courses, writing these papers, and studying for these exams – its us.

You were born with natural abilities. Regardless of whether these abilities include writing breathtaking novels or deciphering quantum physics, they should never be ignored; in fact, as much as you might try to ignore them, these natural talents and curiosities will always remain in the back of your head, whispering, “What if…?” What if I had studied what I actually loved? What if I had followed my heart? If thinking about your future does not make your heart pound and your mind spin with the endless excitement of possibility, you are doing yourself a disservice. It may be time to rethink your studies.  

*Cover image from career.uconn.edu