tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Mood Boosters with a Valentine’s Day Twist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Being single in February can be rough. Some days it’s like the whole world is in love and you are so far from it. This exclusivity can sink into your thoughts, putting you into a negative headspace. Even if you enjoy being single, this feeling can still hit you. I have found that when I’m in this negative headspace, my attention span in classes suffers, motivation drops and I’m not really pleasant to be around. This negativity just feeds insecurities, but trying out different mood boosters can be effective in increasing your happiness and teaching you how to handle a negative headspace.

1. Buy Flowers for Yourself

Who says you need a Valentine to receive flowers? Go to the farmer’s market and treat yourself to locally grown flowers. Even in a dorm, flowers brighten up the space. When the flowers die, re-purpose them by framing, pressing or making a bath bomb out of them!

2. Make Plans with Friends

Do a Galentine’s Day brunch with your friends or an at home spa day! Instead of doing a group event, simply grab a meal with one of your friends. Go off campus to a percentage or give back night, where a portion of the proceeds go to a organization on campus, or catch a movie at Lyric. Even just studying with friends can lift your spirits. Surrounding yourself with friends can remind you of how appreciated you are and is bound to create memories.

3. Find a Dog and Play with It

Animals are known for lifting spirits and there is almost always a dog on the Drillfield. If giving a belly rub to a dog on campus isn’t enough, go to the humane society. The Humane Society of Montgomery County has dogs and cats who are wanting attention.

4. Creative Stimulus

Play around with your pencil on a piece of paper or go paint pottery. Finally write that story or phrase down and just see where it takes you! Color and listen to music as a way to let yourself decompress. Tapping into a creative outlet helps you get out of your head for a bit and is calming. Don’t fret over the end product and just enjoy the process of creating!

5. Talk to Someone Who Knows You

For me, this person is my Mom. Just talking about your day or working through something you have been going through with someone, can help. At times when we are feeling insecure or unsure of ourselves, those that know us best are there to help guide us. If you would rather, thank the person and tell them why you value them. Gratitude rewards both parties.

6. Eat some Fruit and drink some Water

Surrounded by all of the Valentine’s Day chocolate, it’s okay to indulge a bit! Just try to add fresh fruit into the mix, even chocolate covered strawberries count. Balance is key, try dried fruit or adding fresh fruit to yogurt. Challenge yourself to drink the recommended eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day for a week.

7. Yoga

Ever since I took up yoga, I have felt happier and more conscious of myself. Go to a class on campus, mats are provided! If you can’t make a class, download an app on your phone or check out a video on YouTube.

8. Create a List of All the Things You Love About Yourself

Taking time out of your day to recognize yourself is valuable. The aspects you love about yourself don’t have to be all physical either, try and think about your personality, passions, and how you approach difficult situations. My list would be on multiple aspects of myself like, determination, smile and humor. You can also create a mantra out of this list or find a quote that really speaks to you. Continuously showing self-love builds your confidence that you can carry throughout life.

Images sourced from Unsplash.com

Gifs sourced from Giphy.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.