stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Walking Around the U of U Campus; A Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Only those who have survived the Utah campus will understand. Those who have not, I am here to be their voice and tell their story. Welcome to the University of Utah Campus.

I am so excited for my new classes! I just need to make sure to leave 6 hours in advance so I can walk from the parking lot that is literally miles away.

What do you mean a parking pass is $300, an arm, a leg and my first-born?

Ah what a beautiful 85 degree…wait not 85…is that? 35? Ok 25 degree day– Wait… What is—Oh ,ok snow. Awesome. I’m wearing camo pants and flip-flops. SOS.

I’m so late. Blessed my class is close. HA JK. Construction. Construction everywhere. *adds additional bus ride and 3 mile walk to said class* because they have removed yet another parking lot.

Oh good a parking space that is on the first isle!!! *Does flailing Happy Dance*

Oh you’re just readjusting your parking… gr8

*panting* In…ver…sion…can’t…breathe *has to sit and take a break at every building from point A to point B*

*Hears the sound of clicking wheels over the side walk cracks and immediately fears for life as even just one wrong step to the left could result in a walker-skateboarder collision*

…Do you think the school would have to pay for my tuition then?

*Steps to the left*

Yes kind sir, I can see this is a bike trail but have you seen the sidewalks on campus? Yeah well neither have I considering it’s all fenced off for construction so please continue to scream at me while I am seriously just trying not to pass out from walking up this giant hill.

I wonder how much I would have to offer that guy in the golf cart for a ride to class.

*Phone beeps* “Your account has a balance of –$11.54” …yeah looks like I’m walking…

It’s fine I’ll just put in headphones and nobody will bother m—“OH HEYY JEN!”

Ok here we go…to the life center. I’m actually going to work out today. Ok just kidding, because the walk to the life center IS my work out.

Oh look… a food truck… I may as well get something since I worked out today.

Although this Utah campus is designed with practically one parking space and is also uphill both ways, it’s hard to complain when we get to stare at those beautiful Utah mountains no matter which way we go…even if it’s a detour around the construction.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor