Moving out: 5 Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

So I think most of us agree, that in the future, whether near or far, we are going to leave the nest, or upgrade from a dorm to a place that we can all our own.

If you are now in this situation (like I am) you might be thinking to yourself…”where do I begin?” I’m not going to say that it wont be stressful, and that it will be easy, because chances are, that just like it was for me, it probably won’t be too easy for you.

First and foremost, you have to remember, that you must take this apartment hunting, lease signing, lack of sleeping, time seriously. After all, this decision can affect your life completely.

Here are some tips to remember when looking, finding and locking down a new place:

1.     Keep your options open. Make sure that you’re looking around as much as possible. Talk to leasing assistants and sometimes even tenants. Make sure you are clear of how far you want to be from school or work. Make sure you have transportation before settling in a place far from an every-day location.

2.     Know your location. This is very important, because it involves your safety. You might find a place with a very low rent, utilities included, big yard, etc. But you have to make sure you are in an area of town that is not dangerous, or potentially harmful (Moldy architecture, asbestos, etc.)

3.     Know the price. Make sure you have some money saved up, or a good source of income. You will most likely have to pay for an application fee, background check, and if you decide you want an apartment, a deposit. Sometimes the deposit might include first month’s rent, other times not (luckily for me, I didn’t have to pay a month in advance, and I got my first month for free!) So make sure you know the deals.

4.     Don’t wait too long to lock it down. Chances are, a lot of other people are looking around for places too. If you have already checked the ratings, talked to the neighbors, checked on their costumer servicing skills, and looked up any health concerns in the building, and you still want to move in, lock it down.

5.     Manage your time and money. I know in my case, I wanted everything to be done on the first day. You have to try to take things slow. Hopefully everything falls into place, but don’t go laying around, avoiding the situation, because it’ll be worse in the end. Keep a good balance.

Finally, just enjoy it. You worked hard for this. This is now your new home away from home. Make it your own, and take care of it. 

Photo Credit:

Los Angeles Discoverer Expert

http://losangelesdivorceexpert…

Huff Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…

Vice President of Her Campus at the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Junior majoring in Mass Communications, with a Minor in Journalism.