kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: 4 Refrigerator-Free Healthy On-The-Go Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Finding diet-friendly snacks that can weather the Florida climate is a struggle. The snacks in the vending machines on campus are both expensive and often unhealthy.Lots of the healthiest snacks, like fruits and veggies, can’t make it through a long day at school and work and

After some trial and error, I’ve discovered these delicious snacks that are sturdy enough to be tossed into your backpack or stuffed in your glovebox.

1. Protein bars

Protein bars are my go-to snack for many reasons. They are nutrient-packed, mess-free, backpack-friendly and super filling. They come in a zillion different flavors and only cost about a dollar each! My favorites are cookie dough Balance Bars, caramel nut brownie Luna Bars, and peanut butter Clif Bars. If you are expecting it to be super hot out, try to avoid chocolate flavors because they might make a melty mess in your hands.

2. Nuts

Nuts may be small, but they are mighty. They are touted for their ability to lower cholesterol, boost heart health, and fight cancer, among other advantages. Put a handful in a ziploc baggie and throw them in your purse. Nosh on them throughout the day for a boost of nutrients and energy.

3. 100-calorie packs

Oeros, Lourna Doone cookies, Cheez-Its and Chex! Sometimes the junk food craving is too strong . Luckily, so many of our favorite cookies and crackers come in handy 100-calorie portioned snack bags. Find a plethora of options in the cookie/cracker aisle of your local grocery store. Just be careful not to crush these suckers in your bag.

4. Pre-packaged fruits

Pre-packaged fruits, like mandarins, peaches and pears, are all great options for on-the-go snacks. These convenient fruit cups are super portable and delicious. Careful, though. because many selections add sugar and salt to enhance taste and to preserve the food. Opt for the cups that use light syrup or are “no sugar added.”Also don’t forget to pack a plastic fork or spoon!

photo sources:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/eartheats/files/2011/03/Protein-Bars-940×626.jpg

http://nutribulletblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nuts.Picture-1.jpg

http://theharriedmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/100-calorie-snack-packs.jpg

http://momspotted.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/IMG_6122.jpg

Hey there! My name is Samantha Stern and I'm a graduating senior of mass communication with a concentration on magazine journalism at the University of South Florida. I've been writing for Her Campus USF since January 2013 and this semester I was appointed editor-in-chief of the online publication. Life is a stressful thing and I want to provide a means of escape and self- improvement for young women, as well as for myself, by writing fun, engaging and useful content accessible anytime and anywhere via the internet.My ultimate goal is to empower women in their 20's. Women are hungry for everyday life advice. They crave tips for achieving the ideal in money, intelligence, beauty, fashion, health and lifestyle. I will satiate their informational appetite and, more importantly, help them become their outright best by writing fun and practical content relevant to the modern 20-something.When I'm not writing you can find me reading magazines (duh!) and books, taking long, hot baths and exploring local haunts with friends and family.Feel free to follow we on Twitter @samantha__stern or check out my resume and portfolio by clicking here.  
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.