Fashion for a Cause: Meet Nikki Yourison, PRSSA President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Nicole Yourison is a 21-year-old senior majoring in mass communications at USF. Although she is originally from Easton, Maryland, she grew up in Brick, New Jersey. She has chosen to focus her degree in public relations. Yourison, who is currently the director of special events and philanthropy for the Walter E. Griscti Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America here at USF, was recently named president of the organization for the 2013 semester. To end her run as director of special events and philanthropy, Yourison has planned an impressive benefit to raise awareness about domestic violence. To find out more about her and the event, check out the interview below.

Give us a brief overview of the event: “It’s a domestic violence benefit for The Spring of Tampa Bay with music performances and a fashion show. It is an opportunity for students, faculty/staff and Tampa residents to learn about the cause and know it is not only in family homes, but high schools and colleges as well.”

What made you want to choose a fashion show from this years event?  “I love fashion and truthfully love all things girly, but a fashion show is a fun way to bring attention to a serious subject.”

How long did it take you to plan and what was the most challenging part of it? “The event took me about 3 months to plan because I was taking classes at the same time. The most difficult part was definitely time management and giving deadlines to all parties involved because I am a student, many people don’t take you very seriously.”

What made you want to become a part of PRSSA? “I wanted to make more friends and find out more about my major I knew so little about. It turned out to be an amazing opportunity that opened doors and friendships and networks for my future, but it also taught me so much about my major that I didn’t know.”

What do you plan to do with your degree? “Ideally, my goal is to move to a city and work in public relations, specializing in event planning and eventually owning my own business.”

What appeals to you the most about public relations? “I love being able to work with people face-to-face as well as via social media. The importance of image and research are something I think are crucial for every business and company.”

The Spring of Tampa Bay Domestic Violence Benefit is taking place on Sunday, December 2nd at 7 pm in the Marshall Center Ballroom. For more information, check out the events Facebook page here or the Her Campus USF event article here.

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com. 
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.