Recipes for a Healthy Spring Semester: Breakfast and Lunch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

We’re all victims of it—a fat burger with fries and a beer, Tamarack nachos, a milkshake from Uptown Diner, Big Dipper ice cream, Little Ceasars…hungry yet? Or maybe your cravings for rich food start in your kitchen—Pasta Roni, mac and cheese, brownies, Pop Tarts, Eggo waffles, or 5 cheese frozen lasagna. Even the healthiest of us get cravings for food that we know is bad, but sometimes what matters more is that it just tastes so damn good. But, even if you work out on a regular basis, poor eating habits can make an impact on everything from your skin to your energy. So, before you break open another frozen pizza or ordering take out, check out some of these recipes. They’re healthy, quick, and most importantly, cheap.

Breakfast

“Breakfast Fruit Burrito” – good for when you’re in a rush

1 whole wheat tortilla, uncooked

whole strawberries

granola

1 banana

peanut butter

Spread a layer of peanut butter over the tortilla, covering most, if not all of the surface of the tortilla, and scatter granola on top. Chop up the strawberries and banana and put them on top of the granola. Roll the tortilla and you’ve got breakfast.

“Oatmeal Cupcakes” – make ahead of time

3 mashed bananas

1 cup milk (use almond soy milk to make it sweeter)

2 eggs

1 tsp baking powder

3 cups raw oatmeal

1 tsp vanilla

3 tbsp chocolate chips

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients together except chocolate chips in a bowl. Let the batter settle while you prepare the cupcake tin. Next, stir in chocolate chips and fill the muffin cups almost full with batter. Bake 20 – 30 minutes; the edges will be brown and firm. Let them cool before removing from the cupcake tin.

Lunch

“Veggie Sandwich” – for when you never want to see jars of peanut butter and jelly ever again

On a slice of bread, spread a small layer of cream cheese. Layer thinly sliced cucumbers on top, then spread sliced black olives on top. A handful of bean sprouts is added on top, and you can include tomatoes, bell peppers, or sunflower seeds for some extra texture.  Cheese or avocado might also be a good addition.

“Hummus Spiral Wrap” – wraps; who doesn’t like them?

Grab another tortilla. Spread your choice of hummus on it, and add layers of spinach, shredded carrots, soy beans, avocado, and some fresh ground pepper. Drizzle a little bit of lemon juice or olive oil on to top it off, then wrap and roll.

Check back next week for dinner and dessert!

I am majoring in Native American Studies with a minor in English. I hope to return to reservations in Washington and Montana to improve education and give the desire to strive for a better life. I enjoy writing (Fiction), reading, hiking, and the ocassional couple hours of Pinterest! :)