This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Are you so busy that you don’t have much time to cook your meals? Wasting money because fast food is so convenient? All of your problems could be solved by stepping into meal prep.

From waist trainers to flat tummy tea, different health and fitness trends are rising. But here’s one that’s not only harmless, but also very convenient and cost efficient: meal prep. Meal prep is when you prepare your meals ahead time. Whether you prep all three meals or just your dinner, you can save yourself a lot of time during the week. Meal prep helps you to plan your calories, and prevent yourself from eating McDonald’s just because it’s so quick; you already have a prepped meal in the refrigerator that’s ready to go!

How To & Tips:

• Meal prep should be done at least once a week. If you want more variety in your food throughout the week, you can prep every three or four days. Choose a day (or two) from your schedule that you don’t have much to do. If you go grocery shopping weekly, this is a good day.
  • You can make your dinners basic, just bake plain chicken, chicken that is seasoned, or make a complete meal. If you prefer, it can also include a starch and veggies so that you can better manage your nutrients.
  • Make sure that you have a lot of Tupperware. You can package an entire meal together or separate them out by vegetable, starch, protein, etc.
  • You can also prep smoothies and snacks, another way to make sure you get the nutrients that you need/want.
  • To make stews, soups, and pastas, you can use a crockpot.

Managing your time while being a college student (and possibly a worker too) can be extremely stressful. Meal prep is a great way to make your days smoother!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.