Love Yourself: The Key to Self Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hey there ladies. We’ve all had points in our lives when we didn’t love ourselves and had low self esteem. Recently, I’ve been feeling a bit blue. Now, the question is, why do we not love ourselves at times, and what makes us feel that way? There’s a number of reasons why we feel that way, and we’ve all experienced at least one of them. We just have a bad day sometimes.  We compare ourselves to other girls and celebrities, which makes us feel bad and even jealous at times. We get that rejection from a guy we like. All of this leads to another question we have, which is: what’s wrong with me?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with you! That’s right, you are perfectly perfect just the way you are. Everything you think is wrong with you is all in your head and not true. You’re unique and special because there’s no one else like you in the world, unless you have a secret twin, but even then you’re unique. Take a look in the mirror, because staring back at you is a beautiful person inside and out. So you may not look like that one girl from your 9am lecture. Guess what? They probably wish they could look like you.  The guy who rejected you is irrelevant because they just lost a great girl.

The key to losing that low self-esteem is to have self-confidence and self-love. Stand in front of a mirror and say the things you love about yourself. You need a positive attitude about yourself to get started or else it won’t work. You can say you love your smile or that you have a big heart or what great style you have. It can be literally anything you love about yourself, but the only requirement is that it always needs to be positive. Embrace one of your favorite celebrities or a friend that is always confident and embody that confidence when you walk around. Forget what the haters say, because only what you think about yourself matters. 

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.