This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

There comes a point in studying where you begin to re-read the same paragraph over and over, or when the equations on the computer begin to blur until you don’t remember if what you’re looking at is your Statistics homework or your French exercises. Want a tip? Walk outside in front of everyone coming to the MLC during a big class change and fall face downwards into the grass. Be sure not to pop up for air for at least 45 seconds to make sure you have everyone’s attention. Just kidding. While I wish someone would do that purely for entertainment purposes, here are some more socially acceptable and beneficial ways to help you de-stress and survive demanding test weeks.  

Eat breakfast. You’ve been hearing this since you were a wee lass watching those Frosted Flakes commercials. And while Tony the Tiger is right, Frosted Flakes are grrreat, you might want to go for something more substantially nutritious to start the day off right. Try some oatmeal or Greek yogurt, quick fixes that are good for you and get you out the door and to the library as quickly as possible (though that journey is typically not something I try and rush on a regular basis). They have awesome parfaits at Jittery Joe’s right on campus if you need something speedy!

Drink green tea. It has an amino acid that contains theanine which gives flavor to green tea while also promoting relaxation. So bottoms up!

Take a break and laugh. Go ahead. Read that Buzzfeed article you’ve been trying to wait until after studying to look at (that never happens, might as well get it over with and read it now) and text your best friend and tell her that she has to read it too because you swear it was written about your friendship. Scope out those Vines on your phone and cry laughing at the variety of inventive ways people can make fun of Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball” video. While it should only be a 10-15 minute break, getting your mind off your work will help you keep your sanity and revamp your brain for another (hopefully not too grueling) study session.

Give in to your cravings. Walk downtown, go to Insomnia Cookies, and get that S’mores Deluxe you’ve been thinking about all day. Consuming small sugary snacks can help relieve stress but, remember ladies, moderation is key. Get one cookie, not three. You don’t want a sugar overload that will tire you while studying. Giving in to your sweet tooth can help boost your mood and galvanize you to keep powering on.  

Listen to music. You can relax tense muscles by listening to soothing music while studying. Everyone is always talking about Spotify and Pandora, but 8tracks.com has readily-made playlists that you can listen to after you’ve chosen tags that are appropriate for your studying mood. They’re not short of any awesome classical music playlists so study away. *Disclaimer- if you end up choosing songs with lyrics that just get you pumped to study, that’s great. However, if you have your headphones in, please keep in mind that, while you may think that you’re singing along quietly, 99% of the time we can all hear you. I repeat, yes, everyone within 50 feet in the library can hear you.

Free advice and free food. If you’re living in the dorms, check out all the programs offered during test weeks, they’re usually helpful in offering study tips and advice. The best part? Most of them offer free food for attendees. Good advice, free food and a study break? What’s not to like?

Meditate. Meditating can lower your heart rate and blood pressure and it has even been proven to improve cognitive performance. This doesn’t mean you need to sit in middle of the lawn outside the Chemistry building and show off your yoga skills. Unless you really want to, which then by all means be my guest. Just pick a nice spot to relax for a little. North Campus has the best grass, just a heads up.  How you meditate is up to you, but just be sure to take a moment to breathe and to not get overwhelmed by your workload.

Sleep. After four years of experience, I will tell you this: do not pull an all-nighter. It’s not worth it. Do what you can while you have energy, but you will be completely useless if you cram and don’t let your brain absorb any of the information you spent the last night learning. So don’t chug Jittery Joe’s Shot in the Dark (their strongest caffeinated drink) at midnight, you’ll only end up paying for it the next day with a hazy memory. Try and sleep and get at least one REM cycle in (there’s a nifty app  called Sleep Cycle that can help you determine how early or late you need to wake up or go to sleep to fulfill at least one restful cycle) so that you can dominate your test. Or at least just pass it.  

You go to UGA, one of the top schools where working hard and playing hard are two admirable traits that a majority of the student body seem to possess, but don’t forget to chill out every once in a while. Don’t sweat the small stuff so much, and, if you don’t do so well on this test, brush it off, eat some discount wings at Amici’s and make sure you ace the next one!

My name is Ana Lopez and I am a Publication Management Grady student with a minor in English and a writing certificate. I am an avid reader, love to write, and suffer from a wonderful condition called Wanderlust.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter