you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Signs You’re An Overworked College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College has so much to offer. While you get to choose from such a wide variety of classes, you can also join many different clubs and organizations. Plus, the knowledge and experience you gain on campus can help you land jobs and internships with external organizations! Getting to explore your favorite hobbies and dive more deeply into the fields you are interested in is essential to delving into a career that you’re passionate about. College provides students with so many opportunities.

College has taught me a lot, and one thing I have learned is that it’s important to take care of yourself. So before you dive into your full course load, your part-time job, your clubs and your internships, here are some signs that you might be overworking yourself.

1. You can’t pay attention in class

If you’re too busy and didn’t get enough sleep, odds are you probably won’t be able to pay attention in class. While there are so many opportunities in college, don’t forget that your classes are just as important!

2. You don’t have a lunchtime

Eating and making sure that you get your lunchtime every day is so important! When planning your schedule and activities, make sure to leave some space in there for you to have your lunch and just breathe for a moment.

3. You can’t remember the last time you were able to relax

Whether it’s Netflix binging or hanging out with friends, we all need that moment of relaxation from time to time. In the midst of all your duties and activities, make sure to infuse a bit of relaxation into your life as well!

4. You’re tired

If you find yourself zoning out while driving, or falling asleep during a meeting, it’s time to get some sleep. Your busy schedule may leave you so exhausted, making it difficult to focus, but make sure that you take care of yourself, too.

5. You can’t sleep

Or maybe the problem is not that you don’t have time to sleep, but you can’t sleep. If you can’t sleep even when you’re tired, you might be stressed. Everything that you have been thinking about and working hard on is catching up to you, and you need a breather.

6. You don’t have time to finish your homework

Remember that even though you are involved in so many activities, school is still so important. Homework and schoolwork should not be your last priority, and neither should self-care. Don’t burn yourself out!

7. Your performance declines

Maybe everything is just catching up to you and your motivation is falling. You no longer feel the same drive and inspiration that kept you going in the beginning, so your performance begins to decline. If you find that the field and topic no longer interests you, or you no longer feel compelled to do well, you may be burnt out.

8. Your schedule is relentless

Your schedule leaves no space for you. In between classes, you have internships and work and clubs. You barely have any time to care for yourself!

Being busy and being involved is, undoubtedly, a good thing. College students should involve themselves into a variety of activities to learn about their interests and to gain experience in different fields. But, before you commit to so many different activities, make sure that you can handle them. After all, self care should always come first. Good luck, collegiates!

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.