Top 5 Scenic Hiking Trails near UC Irvine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Get ready to lace up your hiking boots and head outdoors! With wild flowers blooming and the sun shining, now is the perfect time for students to check out these top five scenic hiking trails near UC Irvine. Each trail has its own unique features, whether it is a field of wheat or a view of the Pacific Ocean (as seen in these amazing photos provided by UCI Hiking Club officers, Amy Tsai and Kenny Schmitt), The difficulty level for each trail ranges from beginner to intermediate depending on the trail’s elevation and incline, but do not let that stop you from going outdoors and exploring the natural scenery around UC Irvine.

1. Laguna Coast Wilderness Park

The Laguna Coast Wilderness Park trail is a 2.7-mile loop with a 492-foot elevation. It is suitable for dog-walking, mountain biking, trail running, and walking. This trail also offers a great view of Laguna Beach. Remember to bring water and snacks because it can be a challenge to hike up the inclines and switchback hills.

2. Bommer Canyon

Bommer Canyon is located just a little over a mile beyond the UC Irvine ARC (Anteater Recreation Center). This 3.8-mile loop offers a scenic route that is great for hiking, bird-watching, and mountain biking. It is relatively flat with a 190-foot elevation, and has a spectacular view of endless fields of wheat.

3. Billy Goat Loop Trail

The Billy Goat Loop is a 5.5-mile trail near Foothill Ranch. This scenic route is a great location for mountain biking, hiking, and walking. It has a 1433-foot elevation, so remember to take a quick snapshot of your long journey up to the peak of this trail.

4. Deer Canyon Loop Trail

The Deer Canyon Loop is one of the many trails in Crystal Cove State Park. It is a 6.9-mile trip with a 1289-foot elevation. With one of the most breathtaking views, visitors enjoy hiking, mountain biking, trail running, and walking up the hills.

5. Newport Back Bay Trail

The Newport Back Bay Trail is a scenic route that is great for hikers, dog-walkers, and bikers. It is a 10.7-mile loop with a 92-foot elevation. Remember to bring your camera to take pictures of the wildflowers if you visit the Newport Back Bay Trail during the spring time.

These are just five of the many beautiful hiking trails around UC Irvine, so bring a couple friends and spend a weekend exploring the wonders around Irvine.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)
...