Tips for Exercising at UBC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

After going to UBC for almost four years, I have had my fair share of exploring the different ways to exercise on campus. If one of your New Years’ Resolutions is to get fit, or if you are looking for a new place to exercise, I’ve got you covered! Here are my reviews of the different places I’ve worked out in during my time at UBC:

The Birdcoop (during my first try)

Back in my first year, I gave the Birdcoop a try (lasted for about a month, to be perfectly honest). The Birdcoop is an obvious choice because the hours are good, the semester fee isn’t too pricey, there is a ton of different equipment, and you will probably run into a lot of people you know. Depending where you live on campus, it is super accessible too! Downside? I tended to go during peak hours in my first year, and the place can get super crowded.

Residence Fitness Rooms

After deciding that I didn’t want to walk the 20 minutes to the Birdcoop, or face the crowds, I decided to try out the fitness room in my first year residence (all the residences have one). The major upsides include that they are free, super close to where you live, and aren’t too busy. Unfortunately, many of them are quite small and the equipment is limited. But hey – they’re free!

Your Room

Let’s face it, university life is busy. During my middle years in university, I started to neglect the gym as my assignments piled up. My room and my laptop became the solution. I subscribed to a get-fit channel on YouTube, and I worked alongside the fitness videos in the comfort of my own home. This choice was free, involved no commute, and allowed me to work out without feeling like others were watching. However, with my bed so close, the downside was that my workouts were not nearly as intense.

UBC Rec Classes

A great way to force yourself to go workout is to sign up for a class. During my third year, I signed up for a UBC Yoga class that took place once a week. The class was a great de-stressor, kept me in good shape, and incentivised me to consistently work out each week (as I had to pay a significant fee for it). If you have the funds, time, and ability to make it to a class, I would definitely recommend it! Make sure to try out Free Week next time to make sure you make the right choice.

The Basement of the Aquatic Centre

So, yes, you can swim here too. But, I decided to check out their free gym instead (yes, it is free). The great thing about this place is that it is very quiet and there is little competition for weights or cardio equipment (as most people don’t know about it). The downsides? The basement is dimly lit and dreary, and the equipment is old. However, the new Aquatic Centre is set to open soon, and the gym may become much different. Definitely worth checking out if you want a quieter space.

And Back At It Again at the Birdcoop

For my last semester, I think I have found my place. Instead of going at peak hours, I go close to opening in the mornings or later in the evening to avoid the crowds. Additionally, the Birdcoop makes my new-found interest in weight training much easier!

These are not the only ways to get fit on the UBC campus, so I encourage you to look into your own options as well. Have fun staying fit, healthy, and happy HCUBC!  

Emily Morehead is a fourth-year Honours Political Science major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor - and the current co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UBC! :) She hopes to pursue law in the future and run for office someday. Emily loves taking long hikes up mountains, traveling to new places, and obsessing over cute corgis.