This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re someone who believes pedicures are for perfectly painted toes, and are only for women- think again. The purpose of a pedicure is to maintain good foot health, and in fact, is a part of many athletes’ health routine. Pedicures are required to ensure that athlete’s feet and toes stay in good condition- so why can’t we all adopt this same mentality? Think about it: taking care of your feet is just as important as taking care of the skin on any other part of your body. We often neglect our feet because we conceal them with socks and shoes, and because of this, they’re easy to forget about.

Our feet take quite a beating; everything from the changing of seasons, to daily activities like walking, to wearing improper shoes, to sweating, and to exercising. The slow wear-and-tear from these activities can cause dry skin, shoe odor (which can foster the growth of foot fungus), calluses, blisters, bunions and ingrown nails. Taking care of your feet regularly can also prevent the growth of infection. The bottoms of our feet have more pores than anywhere else on our body, and when we sweat, these pores open up and bacteria can easily permeate our skin, which welcomes the growth of bacteria. These issues can all be avoided by pampering your feet every few weeks.

If you’re able to afford getting a pedicure every few weeks or once a month, power to you! But those expenses add up, and I can teach you how to give yourself your own pedicure at home, and which tools to buy that will cost you less money than getting a pedicure in a salon. You can tailor this routine to fit your specific needs, as you might not need to purchase all of the tools mentioned below. Having these tools around will also make your life a lot easier, as you will able to do touch-ups at your leisure without having to book an appointment. Owning your own tools is far more economical, as you will be able to use the tools for a long time, and is also way more sanitary. Some salons use the same tools on everyone, and some tools are not disinfected properly-yuck! You will need these five items, give or take (prices may vary):  

1.  Foot File (PediFix Pedi-Quick 2 Sided Foot File, $4.91)

2.  Cuticle Cutters/Cleaners ($7.62)

3.  Nail Clippers ($5.52)

4.  Nail File (Revlon Nail File, $3.49)

5.  Moisturizer (The Body Shop’s Peppermint Intensive Foot Rescue, $9.50)

Now, let’s get started…

1.  First, remove old nail polish from your toes if you’re wearing any. Then soak your feet in warm water for about 10 minutes to soften the skin and nails. If available, you may add Epsom Salt to the water to help relax the muscles in the feet, and ensure softer skin and nails.

2.  Remove feet from water, and pat to dry. Now it’s time to exfoliate. Using your foot file, file over any rough skin on the bottoms of your feet. Foot files are like sandpaper; they slough away the top layer that’s dry and rough, and helps to reveal a smoother surface. Because foot skin is so thick, especially around the heels, foot files help to remove dead skin and smooth over any rough areas around the heels and the balls of the feet. I find that the best way to use a foot file is by running it under water to dampen the board before filing.

3.  Once your heels and the balls of your feet are smooth, take your cuticle cleaners and remove any dirt from underneath your nails. Cuticle cutters/cleaners also allow you to remove cuticles (the thin skin around the nail). Personally, I don’t think removing cuticles are absolutely necessary, although some people prefer to remove them. Be careful to not be too aggressive with this step, as the skin underneath and around the nail is quite delicate and can bleed easily if the skin is torn. 

4.  Next, clip your nails. I’m sure all of you have nail clippers…hopefully. Nail clippers are fairly self-explanatory. Extremely long nails can be uncomfortable, and even painful (especially in closed-toes shoes). Ensure that you do not cut the nails too short, as that can lead to discomfort.

5.  This next step is optional, however I find it extremely beneficial: nail filing. Nail files are used to shape the nails, and to strengthen the tips to prevent the edges of the nails from catching on objects or breaking. Nail files also help to prevent ingrown nails, as shaping them will prevent the nails from growing in wonky directions and from digging into the skin. My favorite nail files are from Revlon.

6.  Finally, moisturize. Just like every other part of your body, your feet need to be moisturized. Because the skin on our feet is built-up from the wear-and-tear over time, and is quite thick naturally for protection purposes, a thick moisturizer will keep your feet and toes soft and smooth. I personally like all of The Body Shop’s Body Butters, specifically the Olive Oil and Coconut Body Butter ($16.00) or The Body Shop’s Peppermint Cooling Foot Rescue ($9.50).

So there you have it, your 6 steps on how to pamper your feet so that you prevent issues from arising in the future. The easiest way to maintain soft feet is to apply foot cream every night before bed and wear socks to lock in the moisturizer. Give it a try- it never hurts to learn how to take care of yourself without relying on professionals all of the time. Let us know in the comments how this routine worked out for you! 

Sources1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8