This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It has been a little over a month since the Fall 2014 semester began and the schoolwork is undoubtedly hitting us all full-force. But, don’t you worry, Collegiettes! We can all conquer the stress, anxiety, and all of the other burdens that come with being a college student. You’re not the only one. We all know it is definitely not easy to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, a job, and an exciting social life. Here are some tips to help you stay not only on track, but on top of everything:

1. Plan it out

The great thing about a new school year (or new semester) is that you can get a brand new planner. Pick something that pertains to you, but that also has all of the useful organizational details that fit your learning style. Use your planner to jot down assignments, due dates, upcoming events, and also to make daily to-do lists.

2. Stick to your plans

What you can do now, don’t save for later. If you write ten things to do for tomorrow, then make sure you complete those ten things. The longer you drag out your work, the more it is going build up, and the more it will limit you from obtaining your goals.

3. Make time for yourself

In the midst of all the busyness, make sure to take some time for yourself and do the things that make you happy. Whether it is going to the gym, reading a book outside of class, watching your favorite TV show, painting your nails, make time for it. These little things are what allow you to take a breather from your day, and unwind from all of your obligations.

4. Stay healthy.

Sleep is not overrated. Getting an adequate amount of sleep each night will be your fuel to accomplish the tasks of the next day. Make sure you also eat as clean as you can, but do not deprive yourself of a tasty snack or a cheat meal. Eating clean will allow you to feel a lot better physically and give you more energy, and that candy bar you are craving will help you feel mentally refreshed. Once again, the gym is wonderful facility offered by the university; take advantage of it! If the gym isn’t your thing, you can exercise in different ways, such as going for a run outside or practicing yoga in your room, or whatever it may be.

5. Stay in touch with the people that really do know you the best.

The new friends you make at college will always be willing to listen to you, and are ready to offer you all of the advice you need. But sometimes, it’s best for us to seek help from the people we grew up with who have had an influence on us our whole lives. Don’t forget to call your parents and siblings, and find a way to share your college experiences with your long-term hometown friends. They will be the ones to help you stay on your feet and help you cope with whatever problems you are undergoing.

And remember, you have to find what works for you. If it’s your morning classes that are stressing you out, you now know that you work better while having afternoon classes. The way you’re going to get the best out of yourself is by finding out what strategies work for you. Find your favorite study spot, your favorite time to study, and your favorite time to workout. Find the places and routines that will allow you to make the most of every moment and be your best every day.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Viola Bame

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst