Train Like an Olympian: Tips and Workouts To Optimize Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

One can’t help but be inspired by the Olympics. If the medal-winning athletic performances and the chiseled bodies of the Olympians are leaving you feeling motivated to step up your routine, then you’re not alone. Here are the best tips from top Olympians for taking gold in your own fitness.

Train, Don’t Just “Exercise”

Athletes go into the gym with the intent of training for their sport. They work on all aspects of fitness – speed, agility, strength, power, balance, and endurance instead of just simply running or lifting. You don’t have to start doing crazy moves if you’re not so inclined, but next time try picking up the pace, increase your weights, or aim to last longer before you break- depending on what your goals are. Olympians are dedicated to their training, so make it a priority in your schedule!

Eat to Perform

You’ve heard the saying “Food is fuel”? When it comes to athletics, food provides more than just your means to sustain life – it becomes energy which the body uses to perform at its very best. Olympians don’t worry about counting calories or whether they’re eating too much fat; they think about which foods will allow their bodies to perform at optimal levels. Stick to the basics: lean protein, healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

Take a Rest Day

Sometimes we get so caught in our routine or we’re so focused on our goal that we don’t want to stop, but this can take a toll on your body. Athletes need their bodies to be in peak condition, which means they know when to take a day off to let themselves recover. While for athletes, over-training can be the difference between a win and a loss, for the rest of the population it can mean the difference between a good day and a bad one. Be aware of signs of over-training and know when to take a break. Also, be sure you’re getting enough sleep!

Pick Yourself Up

Everyone has bad days, even Olympic athletes. But they don’t let one bad training session or defeat let them down. This only fuels the fire to train harder and win the next time! So you fell off track – no big deal; pick yourself up and keep going. Because you’ll never reach your goals if you don’t try.

Looking for new moves to get you training like the elite? Try these!

Step-Up Convict:

Gather a plyo box with a height that works for you and weights heavy enough that you can move with. Step onto the box with your right foot (secure your landing) and follow through with your left leg, bringing your knee to your chest. Step down with your left leg first and then drop back into a lunge with your right leg. Do a total of 10 reps and then switch your lead foot.

Slalom Hop:

Using two pieces of tape placed at least 2 feet apart, start on the outside of one side and hop to the other side, landing on one foot. Hop back and forth for one minute, aiming for speed and control. Make it harder by widening the gap between the tape.

Soccer Juggle:

A great way to improve your endurance and agility – no ball necessary!

Ready to tap into your inner athlete?

Try out these full 30 or 90 day programs and you’ll be prepped to take on the pros!

Insanity the Asylum, Insanity the Asylum: Volume 2

Are you committed? You’ve heard of INSANITY, aka the “hardest workout ever put on DVD.” Trainer Shaun T dares to challenge this with his Asylum series, and I’d say he succeeds! With the addition of the agility ladder and weights, this program will get you into peak athletic shape, whether you’re an aspiring athlete or just like to be fit. Plus, it’s pretty fun (once you catch your breath!).

P90X2*

In P90X, Tony Horton gave you a routine to sculpt your body and get fit; in P90X2, he shows you how to use your body to perform. By collaborating with top exercise physiologists, Tony has designed this unique program to have you moving like an athlete. Bonus: You’ll really work your core and build rock-hard abs with the program’s focus on instability training and use of medicine and stability balls!

*Click here for more information.

Happy training, Collegiettes!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst