The Best and Worst Foods to Eat When You’re Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We may be saying goodbye to the winter blues and having to fend against the flu, but even with the warmer weather approaching, we’re all still susceptible to colds (unfortunately!). But knowing how to treat and feed your body when you’re sick can give you an advantage in kicking it to the curb faster.

Though you may not feel like eating much when you’re battling a nasty cold or the flu, it is important to eat well and stay hydrated as the body actually needs more calories to function normally. This is because the body is working harder than normal to fight off infection and needs to maintain higher energy levels to do so. Try to eat smaller portions of food throughout the day instead of the typical 3 larger ones so that you’re not overwhelmed.

Drinking plenty of fluids and eating immunity-boosting foods is the best way to get over a cold. Here are some of your best options:

Broth Based Soup

There’s a reason your mom always made you chicken noodle soup when you were sick as kid – it can stop congestion and inflammation. Chicken contains the amino acid cysteine, which helps thin mucus from the lungs, and the hot broth helps to keep nasal passages moist, prevent dehydration, and fight inflammation in the throat.

Hot Tea

Warm liquids are best for soothing a sore throat and alleviating congestion, and tea provides an extra benefit with its high content of infection-fighting antioxidants which support the immune system. Hot water with lemon will also do the trick!

Popsicles

Staying hydrated when sick is important for keeping mucus thin and helping to lesson congestion. Popsicles are usually just a good source of added sugar, but they are a different and great way to hydrate as they are easy on the throat. (Bonus if they’re 100% fruit juice or made from whole fruit!)

Spicy Foods

The last thing you may want to eat when you’re sick is something spicy, but they’re especially effective natural decongestants. Chili peppers, wasabi, or horseradish can help relieve the symptoms of congestion. Just avoid if you’re also experiencing an upset stomach, since spicy foods can cause more pain and discomfort.

With the body being more vulnerable during illness, it is best to avoid any foods that put the body under excess stress. Certain foods can make some of your symptoms worse – here are a few you may want to avoid:

High Sugar/High Fat Foods

High sugar intake can suppress the immune system and cause inflammation and foods high in fat can be more difficult to digest and cause stomach pains as a result.

Dairy

You may have heard that dairy consumption can promote mucus production, worsening congestion when sick, but recent studies have shown this to be largely inconclusive. Even still, if it feels like dairy products create thicker mucus, it won’t hurt you to avoid it.

Stay healthy, Collegiettes!

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst