7 Motivating Poems From ‘Milk and Honey’ to Read When You’re Feeling Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the unreliable weather, increasing stress of midterms and finals, and summer vacation so far away, it makes sense to wake up and feel like you are at your lowest point. You don’t feel like going to class or doing any of the things you normally like to do. For some people, they cope with their feelings by watching movies, hanging out with friends, or going outside. I personally like to read or write down my thoughts. My favorite book to read when I’m feeling down is “Milk and Honey,” a New York Times bestseller and collection of poetry written by 24-year-old poet Rupi Kaur. Kaur’s poetry ranges from shorter to longer poems, and covers topics such as love, heartbreak, feminism and even hard-hitting subjects, and is split into four parts: The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking and The Healing. Kaur’s purpose for her poems is to find the good in the bad. Here are some of my favorite poems in “Milk and Honey”:

1. 

2.

You can only go up from here.

3. 

Even the most negative experiences can help you grow. Cope in ways that work for you and give yourself time to heal.

4. 

Everything in life is either a lesson or a blessing.

5. 

Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

6. 

Beauty is everywhere.

7. 

Just because you feel like you’re struggling now with your classes, work or other personal problems doesn’t mean that you aren’t deserving of a happy, rich, and successful life. Don’t feel the need to rush anything, just live in the moment. Think about the people in your life that love you, and as long as you’re surrounded by things that make you happy, that is what matters.

For more on Rupi Kaur, check her out on her website.

Sources: 1

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 78

Emma Sinclair

U Mass Amherst

Lover of Game of Thrones, musicals, Chipotle, and all things Disney.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst