This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

“New year, new me.” That’s what they all say. However, less than half of Americans actually keep their New Year’s Resolutions and one third give up by the end of January. As we’re coming up on the second month of the year, it’s the perfect time to kick yourself into high gear. Most people vow to be more fit, or to save money, or to give up smoking cigarettes. While these are respectable goals, they may be less realistic or attainable than say, hitting the gym at least twice a week, or going vegetarian for one night out of seven.To avoid becoming part of these statistics, change the way you make resolutions. Be practical and honest with yourself when setting goals, so that you’re more likely to achieve them.

The problem most people encounter when forming resolutions is aiming too high. If you’re not an avid gym go-er, it’s unrealistic to ask yourself to workout every single day right off the bat. If you find yourself irresponsible with money, try going cash-only for a couple weeks and see how much you save. Challenge yourself, but be reasonable.

The goal of resolutions is to improve yourself, whether that be physically, mentally, emotionally, academically, or spiritually.  You don’t need to change yourself completely, but rather change the way you think about yourself. In order to find victory this year, change thoughts such as, “Oh, this class is going to be way too much work, I won’t be successful”, into, “This class is going to challenge me, no doubt, but I have the tools to succeed.” As young college women, we should resolve to continue to grow into people we can be proud of.

Here are some examples of achievable resolutions for this year that will help you to become a healthier and happier you. 

1. Start a food journal

2. Call mom more often

3. Stop biting your nails

4. Watch one less episode before bed

5. Do ALEKS throughout the week, not all on Sunday!

6. Take a selfie when I’m feelin’ myself

7. Weather permitting, walk to class instead of taking the bus

8. Take out the trash BEFORE your roommates tell you to

9. Compliment a stranger

10. Write more poems, stories, etc.

11. Run 5 miles per week

12. Eat less french fries and more green peppers

13. Remove people from your life when they stop making you feel good

14. Dance

15. Take one UConn BodyWise class per week because they’re FREE (spinning and pilates are two great classes to take)

16. Recycle as much as you can

17. Say “thank you” more often

18. Take a break

19. Open a savings account

20. SQUATS

Thumbnail Credit 

junior, nutrition major, sarcastic