Tessie Watson: Following Her Burnt Orange Passion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Ask any fashion-minded UT collegiette about the one item that never goes out of style, and they’ll answer the same way: Anything burnt orange! It’s true; no matter how deep your Texas spirit runs or how dedicated you are to watching football games, every UT woman knows the value of a good burnt orange piece. 

And so does Tessie Watson. Combining her love of fashion and experience in online merchandising, Tessie launched Longhorn Fashions in August 2010. The online boutique offers “unique burnt orange pieces at affordable prices,” an ideal that has won over spirited students and young professionals alike. Every item offered is under $100, but the majority are under $50.

While customers can browse inventory online at Longhornfashions.com, burnt orange fashionistas can check out merchandise in the “Longhorn Fashions Boutique on Wheels.” Tessie’s restored vintage trailer is parked at Bevo Boulevard before all UT home games.

HCTX: Are you an alumnus of UT?

TW: Yes. I went to LSU my freshman year, transferred to UT, and then graduated in ’09. 

HCTX: What did you study?

TW: I was in the College of Communication and was in the Business Foundations program. I was also an intern in online marketing.

HCTX: So that seems like an interesting jump to Longhorn Fashions!

TW: Yeah! Well, I knew I wanted to open a boutique, or some sort of store. My interest was definitely in retail. And I wanted to do more of the business side of it. I worked in retail during college and in high school. I made purses with my sister and mom. I’ve always kind of been actively involved in fashion and merchandising, but I majored in communication and did Business Foundations to know the online marketing side of it instead of doing the typical fashion program. I kind of did a different route.

[pagebreak]

HCTX: Aside from the abundance of burnt orange items, what is it about Longhorn Fashions that appeals to UT women? 

TW: I think part of the appeal is that its clothing you can wear all of the time. You don’t have to be going to a football game. I know I wear burnt orange all the time, but a lot of my customers wear it to work, happy hour, downtown. It’s also affordable. I try to keep prices lower than any other retail places. I know that as a student or an alumnus you really want to make your budget stretch. I provide higher quality pieces for lower prices.

HCTX: Okay, so we’re (finally!) transitioning into fall. What are the top three items Longhorn collegiettes should have in their closets? 

TW: Burnt orange skinny jeans are a great choice. Colored denim is so big right now- but burnt orange is more flattering than a color like hot pink, and works for fall. Wear them with cowboy boots for a game or with flats to work. The lightweight sweater is perfect. Here in Texas it never gets too cold but you still want to look like you’re dressed for fall. Camel works well with burnt orange. I’m always big on dresses because they’re so easy to put on. It gets a little tricky when it hits fall, but you can wear a long-sleeved dress, put cable-knit tights underneath, or throw on a scarf.

HCTX: Where do you see Longhorn Fashions in five years?

TW: I have a goal of extending to other universities. I am an alumnus, so Longhorn Fashions will always be a priority, but I’d like to cater to other schools- maybe other Texas schools. I’d also like to open a storefront. And of course, I’m looking for more pieces to expand the store.  

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.