Spirit Group Breakdown: Texas Lonestars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s no secret that spirit groups are a huge deal here at UT, and with a school as amazing as ours, there are plenty of ways to show your school spirit. We wanted to catch up with some of the campus’ most notable spirit groups to see just what these girls are up to. First, we chat with Erica Flores, president of the Texas Lonestars to get the scoop on a fairly new organization that’s quickly established a legacy. 

HC Texas: Why did you join Texas Lonestars?

Erica Flores, Texas Lonestars President: I looked into a bunch of groups in the spirit community but two things in particular drew me to Lonestars. First, the girls were seriously the most genuine, down-to-earth group of girls I had ever met. They made me feel at home just by talking to them at events. Second, Texas Lonestars has the only self started, self run philanthropy, Project Princess. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit was started by our organization back in 2002, and is completely operated and managed by Texas Lonestars’ members!

HCTX: What makes Texas Lonestars different from other spirit and service organizations?

EF: What makes us different would have to be Project Princess. Project Princess helps send underprivileged high school girls to their prom who wouldn’t be able to afford it without our help. We provide them with a dress, shoes, accessories and more that help make their dream prom come true.

HCTX: What events are coming up for Texas Lonestars? 

EF: We put on many events for our members including social, spirit and sisterhood events.  Many of our public events are centered around Project Princess. On February 21, we are having a Benefit Concert for Project Princess at The Stage on 6th! Whiskey Myers is our headliner and tickets are only $15 from any Texas Lonestar.

HCTX: What something students maybe surprised to find out about Texas Lonestars?

EF: Students may be surprised to know that we are only 12 years old. We were founded in 2000 on the pillars of sisterhood, service and spirit, and many students would probably be surprised to know that we are one of the younger organizations.

HCTX: Tell us something that we should absolutely know about Texas Lonestars! 

EF: That Texas Lonestars is a group of genuine girls who want to serve the surrounding community, have fun and find their UT family. In my four years of Lonestars I can honestly say I have found my best friends, my bridesmaids and my home away from home!

Keep up with the Texas Lonestars on Facebook and Twitter!

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.