Meet Julia O’Hanlon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Meet UT Activist: Julia O’Hanlon

Why UT and why your major?

My mom graduated from UT, so I was raised to be a diehard Longhorn. I applied to other colleges, but I always knew UT was going to be where I ended up.

I stumbled into both of my majors. After initially applying to journalism and realizing it wasn’t for me, I looked into the other majors Moody had to offer and thought “well I like politics” and chose Communication Studies’ political track. I got lucky and fell in love with the discipline quickly. I knew I wanted to double major, so when I saw my friend perusing the Humanities website I asked him what it was. He told me that as a Humanities major you get to build your own contract and study exactly what you want. I loved the independence and freedom of this major, so I applied, got accepted, and am now working towards a thesis about socioeconomic levels and education inequality.

Tell us about Senate, we know you are super involved in it.

I am Communication Council’s Senate Representative, so it is my responsibility to represent the Moody College of Communication at Senate meetings. I represent interests that Moody students have (more research opportunities, a more accessible Moody Bridge, more coursework, etc.) and work on legislation to make all of it happen. I really appreciate the opportunity I have to be a servant leader on campus.

What are you passionate about?

I am incredibly passionate about ending inequalities and inequities in the world.

What are your top three favorite restaurants in Austin?

Juan in a Million, Lavaca Teppan, and Madam Mams

What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself?

I wish I were more patient.

If you could travel anywhere in the world with anyone (dead or alive), who would it

be and where would you go?

My favorite poet is Sandra Cisneros, so I would love to hang out with her in her hometown of Chicago. She’d show me around and we would talk about intersectional feminism – amazing.

What’s your spirit food?

Totino’s pizza rolls

What is your go-to fun fact about yourself?

I can do a pretty decent Perry the Platypus noise.

What do you want to accomplish before you die?

I want to have a perfect skin care routine down pat.