From Lagos to the Forty Acres: Tolu Kalejaiye

Posted -

Originally from Lagos, Nigeria, Tolu Kalejaiye came to UT to study computer science. Now a junior, he’s an active member in ASA where he performed and choreographed the guys’ dances in Fest Africa, and SOFC where he plays soccer. He recently joined Men of Excellence, a fairly new organization targeting minority groups dedicated to mentor first-year male students.

HCTX: Why did you decide to join the organizations you are in?
Tolu: I joined ASA as a freshman because I was hoping to meet more Africans here.
It’s one of my favorites out of the ones I’m in. The people are great and it’s a lot of
fun.
I joined Men of Excellence because at that time, I felt as if I wasn’t involved in
enough organizations on campus. I felt like I should try to take more of a leadership
role and initiative. When I got the offer to join, I took it. It seemed like a great
opportunity.
I joined SOFC because I love playing soccer.

HCTX: What do you do in your spare time?
Tolu: I play soccer, read, sleep and I play FIFA. If I’m not playing soccer, I’m most
likely playing FIFA.

HCTX: You like to read? What’s the one book/series you can read over and over
again?
Tolu: The Alex Cross Novels by James Patterson. It’s about a detective who is also a
psychologist and he solves murders by serial killers.

HCTX: What do you want to do after you graduate?
Tolu: I want to go back home to Nigeria at some point and start a company.

HCTX: If you could be anyone in the world, living or dead, who would you be?
Tolu: I would be President Obama. He looks like he has a lot of fun being the
president.

Top played songs on his iPod:
-Kendrick Lamar: Money Trees
-Drake: Underground Kings
-Miguel: Arch & Point
-Kendrick Lamar: Rigamortis

Photo cred: Tolu’s Facebook

College is hard. We make it easier!

Get the best of Her Campus delivered straight to your inbox!

About The Author

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 

Editor's Note

Congratulations to our new campus chapters at Georgia State University, University of San Diego and Villanova University!
Be the Editor-in-Chief of your own magazine -- Start a Her Campus chapter at your school!

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login