Don’t be a Noob – Here’s What to Bring to ACL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Thinking about bringing your beach bag and a picnic lunch? Think again. As nice as that sounds, ACL is all about the less is more policy. For one, you aren’t allowed to take in food items (although if you hid a granola bar beneath some tampons I’m sure they wouldn’t dig). Don’t worry though; there are over 25 food vendors that will satisfy your stomach’s every craving. Not to mention that, whether you’re hitting up the sand volleyball courts or the HOPE Farmer’s Market, you don’t want to be carrying around more than you have to. Therefore, stick to the camera, phone, and cash/credit trio. If you can’t make it without your own collapsible chair or blanket you can check it in at the American Airlines™ Bag & Chair Check. Collegiettes™, also be sure and visit an ATM on campus before the festival because ATMs there will charge higher fees and not all places will accept credit cards.

Ladies, we all know that even the world’s finest makeup products can’t withstand the hours of ACL fun that will ensue, so if you must bring makeup products for a midday retouch, take chap stick, your shine-reducing powder, some oil blotting face sheets, hand sanitizer and you’ll look good as new! Avoid carrying around sunscreen by lathering up before you go. And don’t fret; if you forget something you can pick it up at the ACL General Store.

ACL stresses a green festival, so if you take a one-liter refillable water bottle you can get it refilled at any of the water stations around the park. This will save you from spending a good amount of money on water, and save the environment! Be sure and drink lots of water because it will be a hot one! Another great tip would be to take a bandana with you. You can soak it in the water fountains to cool off or bedazzle it and look cute while keeping the dust from being kicked up in your face.

If you’re a dedicated festival-goer, download the ACL app to your phone or you can even make your own schedule on the festival website and print it out so you can keep track of the bands you want to see throughout the day! And, if you’re extremely dedicated, check out what bands are going to be in the Waterloo Records Tent throughout the festival and plan on taking something for them to sign with you. Be sure to check the ACL website for more specific info on what to bring and what not to bring and enjoy your ACL-tastic weekend! 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.