An Anti-Valentine’s Day Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

While the taken ladies are giddy with excitement over the surprises their guys have in store for them this Valentine’s Day, us single gals choose not to acknowledge the annual day of amor. Or, if you’re like me, you would have forgotten it existed if it weren’t for the heart-shaped balloons slapping you in the face at the grocery store. The point being, whether you love or hate being single, embrace it this Valentine’s Day with this playlist of anti-love songs.

Listen to the tracks here, on Spotify.

Haim – Don’t Save Me

Forget being a damsel in distress. As these three sisters echo, we don’t need a man to save us.

Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch – Sweet Nothing

There’s nothing like bumping a Florence anthem to make a helpless situation seem a little bit easier. Even when things don’t work out, we still have to put ourselves out there. “It’s hard to love” – so sing your heart out. 

Miike Snow – Song for No One

This song has an air of coolness about it for all the collegiettes who are just going with the flow. This one goes out to: no one.  And that’s just the way we like it.

Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX – I Love It

For the ladies who had the courage to kick their loser exes to the curb – and it feels so good.

Jack White – Freedom at 21

Admit it: When Jack White comes on your iPod, it’s impossible not to strut your stuff along to those sexy guitar riffs. While we may not all be as heartless as the woman he sings about in this song, we “got freedom in the 21st century.”

Oberhofer – Away Frm U

Lead singer Brad Oberhofer knows that letting go is easier said than done. But belting out his frustration in this powerful pop song is a good start.

Destiny’s Child – Independent Women

Destiny’s Child is making a comeback this year, but for most of us they sang the soundtrack to our childhood. Maybe their lyrics were entering our 10-year-old subconscious, telling us to go to college to become the “honeys makin’ money.”

Passion Pit – I’ll Be Alright

If you’re still trying to get over that last breakup, consider this your new anthem.

Lykke Li – Get Some

Who said Valentine’s Day has to be all about love? Channel some of Lykke Li’s confidence and lust after your crush instead.

Theophilus London – I Stand Alone

In this dancy hip-hop track, the line “I Stand Alone” is echoed so many times that you’ll start to feel sorry for those who can’t say the same.

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.