Why use weight loss products?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It was only a couple years ago, at the ripe age of 15, that chemistry major Cassandra Benner consumed her first green tea weight loss pill. But why?

“Whenever I looked in the mirror, I thought I looked disgusting,” Benner says.

Lets be honest, losing weight is no picnic. And while Benner’s had first-hand experience with this product, she declares that she didn’t notice anything different after a month of taking the pills.

“I kinda gave up.” Benner says. “I went back and forth [whether to buy another set].”

In the end, she decided not to. She realized it was a mistake.

“It was stupid and I regret it,” Benner says.

Now-a-days, more and more females and males are turning toward weight loss pills to quickly shed pounds. You’ve seen those commercials with the Kardashian gals and their “Quick Trim” to assist with weight loss, but March of this year the gorgeous duo was sued for allegedly making “false claims” about the benefits of the product. So why would you waste money purchasing this supplement just because a celebrity is pictured on the label?

“People are so desperate to lose weight that they’ll do anything,” Benner says.

Celebrities have become more influential and many of us adoring fans want to follow their every move. That means if a skinny prominent figure endorses a product that looks promising, we go for it. Instead of listening to our gut or the warning signs all over the media, many Americans buy these products and hope for the best.

Not to mention, some of these pills may cause health problems. Haven’t you ever looked on the bottle of these so-called “helpful” products?

According to CNN.com, weight-loss stimulants speed up metabolism but can cause strokes, heart attacks and cardiovascular problems. So, in the end, it’s more harmful than helpful.

But, despite these statistics, men and women continue to do damage to their bodies. Sure, none of us would mind rock hard bodies, but taking pills isn’t the answer. Instead, focus on your diet and exercise frequently. After you maintain a healthy diet, you will gradually see results and can finally fit into those skinny jeans that have been hanging in your closet for far too long.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!