Opportunities Fair Etiquette and Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Although it feels as though we’ve just started another year, it is never too early to start thinking about summer work or spring internships. With the Opportunities Fair coming up on October 3, now is the time to make sure you know the etiquette expected when interacting with recruiters and potential employers.

Preparation:

• Have multiple copies of your résumé ready to go so you can give it to companies you are interested in. Be sure that it is error free and has been proofread by multiple people!
  • Research the companies that will be there and make a list of those that interest you. It is also a good idea to have a few questions in mind to keep the conversation going.
  • Dress professionally. This means absolutely no denim!

During the Fair:

• Approach each table with confidence. A firm handshake is a must. Introduce yourself with a smile and be as engaging as possible.
  • Now is the time to whip out those questions you prepared. Show the recruiter that you are genuinely interested in the opportunity and want to know more.
  • Give your résumé to the recruiter and ask for his or her business card. When you are ready to move on be sure to shake hands once again and repeat your name so he or she will be more likely to remember what a charming collegiette you are.

After the Fair:

• Send a follow-up email to the recruiters you spoke with, thanking them for their time. Include a helpful answer they gave you or ask a follow-up question so that they can remember who took the time to thank them.
  • Make any follow-up calls or emails concerning a position you are interested in.

Hopefully this guide will help you to make the most of the Opportunities Fair that will be held in the Rec Center on October 3 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. If you need any help with your résumé you can go to the Career Center in Roscoe West for open hours: Monday 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., Tuesday 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., Thursday 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., Friday 10 – 12 p.m. Best of luck!  

http://alyssajfreitas.blogspot.com