bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Truth About Kale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Kale is a dark, leafy green vegetable closely related to broccoli and brussels sprouts. Kale’s mild taste and slightly bitter crunch make it a fan-favorite for college students everywhere. Looking for it in the grocery store? Kale comes in different shades of green and purple, and has beautiful, curly leaves. Kale is also known for its awesome nutritional benefits. Let’s take a look!

1. VITAMINS AND MINERALS

1 cup of raw kale is packed full of Vitamins A, K, and C. Vitamins are essential in making healthy bones, skin, hair, eyes–pretty much our entire body benefits from these vitamins. Kale is also a good source of several minerals that our bodies need, including electrolytes, so kale is the perfect addition to your post-workout smoothie. Check out this recipe:

2. MACRONUTRIENTS

1 cup of raw Kale contains 6 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of protein, and insignificant amounts of fat, less than 0.5 grams per serving. Kale also contains 2 grams of fiber per serving. The carbs will give you energy, while the fiber and protein will keep you feeling full all day. What a winning combination! Try this super simple Kale Salad 

3. CALORIES

Per 1 cup, raw Kale contains 33 Calories, and no Calories from fat. The low level of Calories compared to the high level of vitamins and minerals per serving means that kale is considered a very nutrient-dense food. For an almost guilt-free snack, try these basic kale chips as an alternative to popcorn or potato chips.

4. ANTIOXIDANTS

Kale, like many fruits and vegetables, contains antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from damage, and they may help reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancers and cardiovascular diseases. Antioxidant-rich foods are a must have for any healthy college student! For double the amount of nutrients and antioxidants, try this Kale and Blueberry Salad.

Kale is a delicious and nutritious vegetable that most people, especially college students, can benefit from adding into their diet. Check out Pinterest to find a thousand and one ways to get kale onto your plate!

Natalie Nation is a second-year Dietetics major at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, MN. She enjoys swing dancing, Netflix, American Sign Language, and the color purple. Natalie has her own food and recipe blog at cutecollegecook.com.