Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Keep Social Media from Controlling Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

While social media has had a number of positive effects, such as allowing for a world more interconnected and a quicker spread of information, several studies have shown that social media is linked to higher levels of loneliness, anxiety, depression and envy – finding teenage girls and young women particularly at risk. Follow the tips below for help in navigating social media.

1. Consider Why You’re Using Social Media.

Do you enjoy social media or do you only go online as a force of habit? It’s easy to hear the ‘ding’ of an iPhone alert and feel the need to immediately check notifications. Researchers at the UCLA brain mapping center discovered that the brain’s reward center can be activated by receiving ‘likes’. While this may sound like a positive side effect of social media, the activation of the reward center by social media can lead to a greater dependency upon it in the same way that repeated consumption of stimulants like caffeine or drugs can lead to addiction. Most Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat users visit the respective platforms daily. This modern ritual of checking social media may be less due to genuine enjoyment or choice and more due to compulsion.

2. Remember That Social Media Does Not Equal Real Life.

Wish you lived a life as glamorous as your favorite Youtuber or Instagram model? So do they. It’s easy to forget that social media only shows a small portion of a person’s life. Think of social media as a highlight reel, showing only the best moments of a person’s life, and a moment that is also carefully produced and edited. Even supposed ‘no filter, no makeup’ selfies, if they really filter and make up free, can take dozens of attempts to get the perfect angle and lighting. Remember that social media only shows you the final product (whether that product is a large Twitter following or a flawless selfie), not the work that goes into it.

3. Don’t Compare Yourself to Others.

Find yourself experiencing a fear of missing out, whether that be through believing everyone is having fun without you or that your life isn’t adventurous enough? So do 60% of adults using social media, according to a study by Huffington Post. Again, remember what you’re seeing on social media is the best of a person, the part of themselves they want the world to see. You are witnessing from an outsider view and through a glass screen. It’s not necessarily real.

Compare? No fair! Your value as a human being isn’t defined by a large number of Facebook friends, retweets or likes on Instagram.

4. Limit Your Time On Social Media.

Do you find yourself checking social media during any spare moment? If you’re noticing yourself experiencing negative emotions when you go online, it may be helpful to cut down the amount of time you spend on social media. But you don’t have to go completely cold turkey! Try putting away your phone when you’re with friends and instead spend more quality time interacting with others. Avoid checking social media while walking (it can be a safety hazard if you’re crossing traffic!) and while eating. Also, resist checking social media before bed. Research has shown that going online before bed can keep you from sleeping well.

5. Be Self-Aware.

How is social media affecting you? Social media doesn’t have to have a negative impact. It can have numerous benefits. But, you must be careful to be self-aware and keep an eye out for increased anxiety or depression. If you realize looking at another’s Instagram posts are causing you to feel envious: stop. If you notice yourself worrying about social media even when you’re offline, consider taking some time away from it.Consider how social media is affecting you and what your priorities are. If necessary, take a break. Your mental health is worth more than any number of likes or followers.

Social media, like all things, is best in moderation. It can be a positive experience, so long as you’re careful and stay mindful.

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.