This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Dear you,

How are you? I know the last time we spoke I said some pretty nasty things and wished to never see you again. And while some of those things are still true, I’ve had some time to really think about what I want.

You see, you taught me what it was like to be in love with my best friend, and how beautiful a relationship could be when you would do anything for each other. Our relationship was a whirlwind, it had it’s high ups, and it’s really low downs. But through it all we held each other so tight, there was not a day that I could picture my life without you.

But you envisioned something else. You were longing for  that single life, and began to resent me. You got a taste of this one summer night, and ran with it leaving without a real apology or explanation. Do you know what that does to a person? It breaks their spirit, it makes them question everything about themselves, and it makes them believe they’re not enough. It sends them in a downward spiral that is not easy to stop. The months that followed, all I ever wanted was to hear an honest apology. I wanted to know that what we shared for the past year was true, and I had not made the whole thing up in my head.

But instead my life was filled with pointless conversations with others, it was filled with countless nights out trying to live that ultimate single life, it was filled with a lot of pain. And while this was a dark time, I slowly learned to be myself again. I laughed when things were funny, I ran when I got anxious, and I sought adventures with my friends. I discovered that time moved on without you. So while you may want to reach out and apologize now, you should keep it. Because honestly I don’t need it. I needed it back then, when I was falling apart without you, but I don’t need you now.

So all I have to say is thank you. Thank you for letting me go and thank you for giving me the freedom to realize who I really am. I now know that I am my own person, and that I am capable of doing so much for myself. I now know that my friends and family are the only people that I ever really need. And while it is not always easy, I have learned that I deserve so much more than what you gave me. So thank you, for giving me the greatest gift you could ever give me; myself back.

From,

Me