No one said it was easy: meeting new people at school

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It’s hard, meeting new people when you are away at school, or even at home and attending a new school, is never overly comfortable. I have become a pro at this; I should write a book. But no, seriously, I feel for you if you are struggling to meet friends, I know it makes starting a new chapter of your life difficult and lonely at times. I have attended three different post-secondary institutions, in three different cities. I am the queen of transfers and starting over. So, let me share with you a few tips that I have found to be useful in my time starting over at different schools and meeting new people!

1. It’s all about where you sit

I’m not talking about cliques or any Mean Girls nonsense, like “you can’t sit with us”. What I mean by this is that on your very first day of any new class, it always helps to eye up the lecture hall of the classroom as soon as you walk in. Don’t just sit by yourself at any given open seat, scan the room, and look for someone with an open seat beside them. Right beside them. Sit down and introduce yourself, exchange numbers, become study buddies, then become friends.

2. Join a club

For example, join a Her Campus chapter at your school, or start your own! School clubs are a fantastic way to meet new people who are interested in the same things as you. Attend clubs days at your school and scout out something that best fits your personality and interests; something that you are genuinely passionate about and talk to them. There are endless types of clubs and groups that are full of potential opportunity, that not only are you able to meet great new people and friends, but also could potentially open many doors for you later on. Don’t be too shy, get out there and explore!

3. Get a job

I know that this is easier said than done and that job hunting comes with his hardships and struggles, believe me, I am also a pro at this now as well. However, if you think that you can manage to have a part-time job and attending school while keeping up with your studies, then finding a job is something you should seriously consider. It is a great place to meet new people, whether it is co-workers, customers, or people you just happen across throughout your work days. Not to mention, a little extra cash never hurt anybody!

4. Attend school function and events

Whether this is going to workshops, on-campus student parties, concerts, book clubs, study groups, etc., your campus is overflowing with opportunities for you to put yourself out there and explore, all the while meeting new people and possibly developing friendships.

All in all, as cliche as it may sound, it is so essential to put yourself out there and sometimes step out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. The people you meet in your post-secondary years are not only going to be potential great friends for life but also could be future colleagues or business partners later on, and each one of them will change and alter your post-secondary experience. Hopefully, for the better! Good luck, you can do it!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa