Justine Johnson: A Voice for All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Her Campus sat down with Justine Johnson, a member of The University of Scranton’s faculty. We are so grateful for Justine’s participation, especially since she is the prime candidate to interview for our Women’s Empowerment Week, as  the woman behind the Jane Kopas Women’s Center and teacher of women’s studies! Let’s find out more about Justine; she offered some insightful words on the 2016 election, which we should all keep in mind!

HC: Well first, what do you do here at the University?

JJ: My name’s Justine Johnson. I am the director of the Cross Cultural Centers, so in that capacity I primarily oversee the Jane Kopas Women’s Center and support the Multicultural Center. I also teach in women’s studies and sociology.

HC: This election rocked the nation. What do you have to say specifically to the protestors?

JJ: I think it’s really interesting, but to be honest, I haven’t given it much thought because I’m also still working with the students who are having all of the raw emotions and aren’t ready to respond. So that’s where I see most of our students – what happened? What does this mean? Should I be scared? And to the protestors, I think we’re seeing all of those feelings in action. So they’ve gone through their processing phase, or maybe not! Maybe this is also part of that processing, and they are looking to do something. I am hopeful that a couple people who become violent or disruptive do not speak for the masses.

HC: Do you think their actions go against Hillary’s campaign slogan, “stronger together?”

JJ: I think if only some people are saying that message, then we can’t be stronger together, right? We need everybody behind it, and a lot of people are ready to be behind that message.

HC: Speaking of important messages, Lady Gaga stood outside of Trump Tower the night of the election holding a “Love trumps hate” sign. Do you think that is a message that will remain important and that we’ll hopefully stick to it?

JJ: Absolutely! And I think things like that, silent demonstrations, or even moving demonstrations, acts of solidarity – things that promote justice, peace and love. I don’t see how anyone could disagree with justice, peace and love.

HC: Lastly, Miley Cyrus originally posted a video presenting her reaction to the election where she was crying, but prayed that her supporters and Hillary’s supporters would stay on a peaceful path, and would accept the presidential office for what it is and try to better it however they can. But within the next 24 hours, she began promoting this idea of hopefulness – do you think that’s also something we should all be aware of and open to?

JJ: Yeah – I think how somebody feels about things our president-elect has said does not go away. We teach our kindergarteners that words hurt. So there’s still a lot of raw emotion, a lot of serious impact that is potentially going to happen for a lot of identities. It’s not just one group, it’s a lot of different people: people of color, people who identify as Muslim, people who identify as women or trans of anything in the LGBTQ+ community, people with varying abilities, veterans. I haven’t even named all of the identities, but I think you understand. But once you grapple with your own thoughts and ideas and you move to action, we have to remain respectful of a process that we hold as one of our truest signs of democracy. But I think also, people are really tired of being told to be silent, to be quiet, to wait your turn, to get over it, or to suck it up. And so, I am excited to see what happens. I think eventually people will be hopeful enough to create change, but you’re interviewing me only three days after a very powerful and historic on many fronts election, and most people aren’t there yet.

HC: Do you have any predictions about women heading for the presidential office? Maybe even in 2020?

JJ: Well I’m hoping that Leslie Knope becomes a real person and runs for office! A lot of people are pushing for Michelle Obama. But I do see potential in Elizabeth Warren.

HC: Is there anything else you want to add in general?

JJ: The people I work with and the courses I teach are all about social justice, right? The people in this office are activists and advocates, and all are amazing, talented people. And they wonder if it’s worth it, if social justice is worth it after we’ve seen someone who has said racist, sexist, homophobic things be elected to the highest level of political office. To me, now more than ever it’s the time for social justice. So there’s my sense of hope. How do we turn anger into passion? We must, we have to.

Members of the Cross Cultural Centers at the U. Justine pictured fourth from the left.

Amanda Ragusa is studying toward a degree in history with a communication minor. In 2015, she studied abroad in Galway, Ireland and fell completely in love with the culture. She found a passion in creative writing and hopes to one day become a television and/or screenplay writer.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so