This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you’re trying to watch what you eat and are looking for little ways to do so, here’s some things that could help! In the past year or so, I have changed my eating habits completely.I drink  I switch from having white rice to brown rice, I make a lot of smoothies, I do not binge eat as often, I drink a lot of green tea and water, granola is my best friend, I stop eating past 8pm (on most nights), and I really think about what I eat before I eat it. Yes, it is fine to indulge once in a while. On a normal day, I’ll start off by having a Chobani yogurt to get my metabolism started, then I usually go to the beehive to get some coffee. I usually get an iced coffee with a pump of caramel and I put some cream in there as well. For lunch I’ll have a granola bar, some ritz crackers or roasted almonds, and a banana. For dinner I usually make myself a smoothie and I eat a salad from Rogalski Food Court (because I have the flex plan) or I make something in my room, like a healthy TV dinner. In my smoothies, I usually put strawberries, blueberries, a mango, banana, some pomegranate V8 juice, and flax seeds. Flax seeds are really good at speeding up your metabolism and you do not even realize they’re in your smoothie when you blend it all together. If you do get hungry later in the day, almonds, popcorn, ritz crackers, and dark chocolate are some good ways to  snack healthier. Dark chocolate is my favorite, I usually buy Dove’s dark chocolate with almond chocolates and those are perfect little things to have. If I do go out 

1. Craving sugary sweets?  

This means that your body is in need of chromium sulfur tryptophan, this is found in foods like: broccoli, cabbage, beans, kale, cranberries, grapes, and berries. Try making yourself a smoothie or fruit bowl, or go to Rogalski Food Court and get an acai energy bowl. Get a wrap for lunch or dinner with some veggies on the side. 

2. Craving carbs? 

Your body is in need of nitrogen. You can try having things like: beans, peas, brown rice, oatmeal, rye or wheat bread, avocado, spinach, and mushrooms. What I like to have is making Quaker Oats Steel Cut 3-Minute Oatmeal and adding dark or light brown sugar to it and sometimes pecans and it is a great meal. 

3. Craving Fatty Snacks? 

When you are craving some French fries from McDonalds, remember that this is your body telling you, you need calcium. You can beat this craving by having something like: kale, almonds, spinach, oranges, broccoli, and sesame seeds. I like to have Blue Diamond Sea Salt Roasted Almonds, clementines, bananas, or some chocolate milk. 

4. Salty Snacks? 

Your body is in need of Chloride which is in things like: tomatoes, celery, olives, pickles, and lettuce. Celery and peanut butter is a great combo and a great healthy snack. Also, Rogalski Food Court has great salads or your could make your own in the cafeteria. 

My name is Bridget Sulek, and I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University. I am part of the track and field team and I also work part time at Francesca's Boutique. I am planning on majoring in Psychology with a minor in Philosophy and going to graduate school for Speech-Language Pathology.
Her Campus at SAU