Halloween Candy Do’s & Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

We all know the best part of Halloween is the candy and we all know the worst part of Halloween is…the candy. Too much sugar, too many calories, and not enough will power to ignore that candy craving! But before you start munching on that Twix, try healthier alternatives to make your Halloween guilt-free like:

1.  Instead of a Snickers, have a Dark Chocolate Almond Bar

Snickers may taste delicious, but for 250 calories, 27 grams of sugar and 120mg of sodium, you’re better off putting down the Snickers bar and picking up a Dark Chocolate Almond Bar. With only 200 calories and 1 gram of sugar, you can get your chocolate-covered nuts fix no problem.

2.  Instead of a Milky Way, have Dark Chocolate

Dark Chocolate like Ghirardelli’s Intense Dark Chocolate has no sodium and is high in iron and will do much better for your body than the high saturated fats and high sugar of a Milky Way. 

3.  Instead of M&Ms, have Dark Chocolate Chips

Although M&Ms only have 34 calories for every 10 pieces, they are very high in sugar and let’s face it, once you’re eating them, you can never stop! Dark Chocolate Chips are only 12 calories and taste just as delicious.

4.  Instead of Skittles, have Jolly Ranchers

If you prefer the fruitier candies, Jolly Ranchers don’t let you “taste the rainbow,” but it will satisfy with only 50 calories and 8 grams of sugar. Instead of the 231 calories and more than 43 grams of sugar in each package of Skittles, you should make the not-so-big sacrifice of having some Jolly Ranchers instead.