How to Maintain Healthy Looking Skin in the Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The cold and dry winter season is well underway and it is one that can be detrimental to your skin, causing flaking and dullness like no other. In order to keep your makeup application flawless and your skin from looking like paper mache, it’s in your best interest to develop a hydrating skincare regimen ASAP. Furthermore, it’s important to keep this routine simple as you’re more likely to actually stick with it. Disclaimer: I am not a qualified skin care specialist, rather just another girl who has wasted A LOT of money on skincare products. From one student to another, here are five hydrating products I recommend to keep packed for the winter season.

1. Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. Price: 14g  at $36, 28g at $58.

Your dry under-eye area has dreams about this product. It is a thick cream that can be applied nightly. Within a week of use, my under eye area was noticeably less puffy and even my fine lines began to diminish. A little goes a long way with this one, so the 14g container should have no problem taking you to the end of the cold season. However, if you don’t also experience the same jaw-dropping results, Kiehl’s will refund your purchase within 28 days. The website offers free shipping for orders upwards of $60.

2. Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Masque. Price: $44

Although a new addition to my skin care routine, I can’t say I remember how I survived without it. If you have oily skin like me, words like hydration and dewy probably make you run for the hills, so I understand the feelings “moisture surge” might evoke. However, I personally experienced no issue with this leaving unwanted oils on my face or making me get oily faster the following day. If you’re still apprehensive, the nice ladies at Sephora will be happy to give you a sample that will get you at least one good use. The masque is applied after cleansing and right before bed. It will remain a bit sticky until absorbed, but isn’t uncomfortable to sleep with. In the morning, cleanse your face as usual and you won’t believe how soft your skin is.

3. Murad Skin Smoothing Polish. Price: $36

This product along with the next (also from Murad) can both be found at Sephora. Exfoliating is key to maintaining smooth skin in the cold months. It sloshes off dead skin cells and leaves only the smooth, fresh and beautiful looking skin that was hiding underneath. I particularly enjoy this product because the grains are incredibly fine, making it feel much less abrasive than other exfoliators. This product also claims to penetrate deep into pores to tighten them. The Murad website recommends exfoliating 2-3 times a week.

4. Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion for Lips. Price: $24

Let’s be honest, who isn’t looking for a fuller looking pout nowadays? This product is not only super hydrating, but its ingredients also work to smooth out fine lines while increasing circulation to your lips, giving them a plumper look. It is not sticky and long-lasting, requiring less frequent reapplications than your average lip balm. It can be used on its own or under your favourite fall lip colour.

5. Coconut Oil

If you’re ballin’ on a budget or you’re just looking for one product that does it all, coconut oil will be your best friend if it isn’t already. It is easily accessible, inexpensive, and its benefits are seemingly never ending. A large tub sells for about $15 and its versatility makes it a real bang for your buck. You can use it as a hair or face masque, as a moisturizer, for oil pulling, to cook with — the list goes on. Some people even eat a tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning because of its amazing health benefits. Seriously, google it!

All of these products can be purchased online and you can always visit the Sephora in the Cataraqui Centre if none of these seem right for you. I hope you enjoy these products as much as I do!