This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

I think any college student knows that what’s in your backpack is very important business. If you’re anything like me, you have your backpack with you at almost all times, so when you’re without it, you feel like something’s missing! And you have to be strategic about what you keep in it too. Not enough stuff, and you could be missing out on an essential, but too much stuff, and your backpack gets too heavy, and it’s no fun to carry around. I like to think I’ve found a happy medium of what I carry with me on the daily. Check it out!

School supplies…duh

This backpack is for school- sometimes I forget that! In terms of how I organize my school supplies, I like having individual folders for each of my classes, rather than having one large notebook or binder. So I have four folders, for my four classes and one more folder full of blank paper for taking notes. I also have a pencil pouch STOCKED full of writing utensils of all colors. It makes the note taking a little bit more fun. My backpack also has a pocket especially for my lap top, which I love because it keeps my lap top separated from everything else and it’s in a padded slot to keep it safe.

Chargers and headphones

I think one of the worst feelings is needing to charge my laptop or phone and not having a charger with me. Or wanting to listen to music while studying and realizing I don’t have my earphones with me. Eventually, I just started carrying those items with me all the time, and it’s been a lifesaver! Pro tip: I use binder clips to wrap up all the wires and to keep them separated. It’s such a cheap easy fix to always having tangled chargers and earphones!

Gum, Chapstick, Hand Sanitizer

I suppose these items are personal preferences, but they’re essentials for me! I use them every day, multiple times a day, so they stay in an easily accessible pocket. These are three things that I legit can’t live without.

A small clutch-type bag with other personal items

This is something that has items that I don’t need as frequently, but they’re still very useful items to have. I keep a small bag in my backpack that has hand lotion, a small deodorant, a mini hairbrush, feminine hygiene products and Kleenex. It’s super reassuring to have these items with me in case I’d need one of these things on the fly.

Water bottle

Tbh, this is maybe the most important thing that I keep in my backpack. My Hydro Flask is apart of me, and I really hate not having it with me!

What essentials do you keep in your backpack?

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs