bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Healthy Habits to Develop in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

1. Friends

Have a set of friends that you look up to. Good examples of healthy friendships include: the creative one, the “go-getter,” the sarcastic one, the fun one, and the one to tell secrets to.

The creative one is an amazing painter. Maybe you don’t paint, but she inspires you to write a creative short story. Someone who exudes creativity is valuable in a society that often squashes creativity at a young age.

The “go-getter” is a dutiful studier, signs up for multiple clubs, and even has time to hit up the fitness classes at the gym! She is your constant inspiration for getting involved. Although you may join only one club, it can make a big difference by helping you feel more a part of your school.

The sarcastic one is the one who is not afraid to speak her mind. You may find yourself hurt at first, but then she helps you grow a thicker skin. Also, her dry humor is great for some giggles!

The one to tell secrets to is essential. Balancing a busy course load, friendship drama, and family commitments while away from home can all lend a college student to a panic. We all need to vent sometimes, and the secret-teller is the perfect confidante.

2. An Organizational System

I spent two years of college trying to make the binder and loose-leaf paper system work for me. Spoiler alert: it didn’t. A binder takes up a lot of backpack room, and loose-leaf notes can get lost. Rather than a bulky binder, opt for a sleek set of notebooks in various colors. You can coordinate different colored notebooks with your color coded schedule for the ultimate organizational practice!

3. Make Checklists

A tidy checklist can go along with number two. Making checklists and crossing them off can help you achieve what needs to be done for the day, as well as holding you accountable!

4. “Early to Bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”

Perhaps you have heard of this old adage. Or maybe you have heard of the law of diminishing returns. Basically, going to bed early is a good idea if you are waking up early. Getting into the habit of going to bed and waking up at the same time, or around the same time is a good way to train your body into getting good quality sleep. If you want to wake up refreshed, try to establish a regular sleep schedule. The blessing and curse of college is that it is a very unstructured time. However, adding some structure is key to reducing stress by managing your time well!

5. Open the Blinds in the Morning

Many University of Portland students struggle as the weather turns a dismal grey. Despite the burnt orange, canary yellow, and crisp apple-red leaves coloring the season, the perpetual rain can cast a depressing mood as midterms and finals strike. Even if the sky is a little grey, opening the blinds for natural light is a good mood-booster. Natural light tells your body it is time to wake up, which is hard to trigger when darkness often signals it is time to sleep.

6. Go to Office Hours 

In high school, I rarely went to my teachers after school. However, in college, it became essential to fit in time for office hours. Professors admire students who are willing to spend extra time on a subject. How else will they know you are struggling if you do not make an effort to see them? Even if a teacher is intimidating, you can reward yourself later with a piece of chocolate!

7. Find Different Places to Study

I often prefer to study in my room because it is predictable and I can have all my stuff together. However, it is better to find different places to study. Moving around while studying helps your brain make new connections because you are in a new place. Also, if you are having trouble sleeping, it can be good to get out of your room. Studying in your dorm room can increase the associations between sleep and homework, and thus prevent you from getting the sleep you need. Find cozy study nooks in your dorm that is outside your room, maybe in a common area. Or get out of your dorm entirely and study in the library! Bonus points if you find a cozy cafe off campus to study.

8. Get in a Study Group

In high school, I preferred studying alone. When I went to college, I discovered the benefits of studying in a group. Lectures are often faster-paced in college, and it can be easy to miss important points. I’ve utilized study groups in all sorts of subjects, from studying for a Biology test to preparing for a theology in-class essay prompt. Even if you are more prepared than the rest of your group, one thing is for certain, when you teach a subject to people, you will remember it the best!

9. Exercise

Take advantage of the one time in your life when you will have a free gym membership! In the summer I like to run, but when the weather gets blustery, I prefer to exercise in doors. I dislike the elliptical machine, but I enjoy the stationary bike. Finding an exercise you enjoy can make a huge difference! Make a workout playlist or find a buddy to keep you engaged. Exercise stimulates your mind, staves away weight gain, and gives you a much-needed study break!

10. Give yourself a break

College can be stressful. Papers and exams pile up. For your mental health and ability to persist in school, it is essential to give your brain a rest! Watch netflix on a rainy day. Pick up a novel and read for thirty minutes before going to bed. Schedule in time for brunch with a friend. Write in a diary. Listen to your favorite playlist. Engage in your favorite hobby! Whatever it is that makes you happy, make sure to do it every day. Even if it takes half an hour, do not think of it as wasted time. Giving yourself a break refuels your brain and makes you ready to tackle study time!

Hello, my name is Madison Hughes! I love creative writing, reading historical fiction, baking, and running! I am from California and I am studying in Portland. This will be my Junior year, and my first year writing for HerCampus. :)