gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

16 Songs to Listen to After a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I went through my fair share of breakups in the past. I was either the one inflicting heartache or (recently) the one receiving it. I am always upset to some degree, either way. However, I like to give myself a three days’ grace period to (1) cry, (2) be angry, and (3) realize I will get over it. Here are 16 songs that my friends in Her Campus and I came up with to help you get over a breakup!

“Don’t” by Bryson Tiller

I love the chill vibe of this song! Sometimes you break up with someone who didn’t treat you the way you deserved, and this song highlights that.

“You Don’t Own Me” by Grace

This is by far my favorite song at the moment! I recently went through a bad fallout with an ex, and this song helped me out a lot! I work out to this song, and I get ready to go out while it’s playing. It builds up your confidence with the lyrics, G-Eazy’s rapping, and its slow but upbeat vibe.

“Don’t Hurt Yourself” by Beyoncé

I like to think Beyoncé somehow knows how to cure all boy problems. You can yell out this song with your friends as you curse the boy who broke your heart.

“Heartbreak Warfare” by John Mayer

Sometimes people decide to split because they are just not getting along. They might’ve had disagreements that led up to the point of going their separate ways. John Mayer discusses that in this song, and it really helps with accepting the things you can’t change.

“Sorry” & “Irreplaceable” (both) by Beyoncé

“Sorry” is great if you were cheated on and your ex keeps trying to crawl back. Enjoy time with your girlfriends, and don’t apologize for letting that boy go. “Irreplaceable” is the breakup anthem! I feel powerful when I sing it because the breakup was for the best, and it’s time to realize there is better out there.

“Shout Out to my Ex” by Little Mix

Little Mix is about girl power, and this song embodies the feeling of singleness and feeling better after heartbreak. Dance to it, smile, and remember that things do get better!

“According to You” by Orianthi

Verbal abuse from anyone is not okay. It may seem like your ex was the best thing to ever happen to you. However, there is someone who will think you’re the best woman in the world. Remember that as you listen to one of my favorite “stronger” jams.

“Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

The best way to get over someone is to rebuild your confidence and come back stronger and hotter than ever. Don’t let your ex control you even after they’re gone. Flip your hair, put this song on and strut your stuff!

“You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrisette

This is one of those angry, angsty songs you can pretend you’re singing to your ex. Alanis Morrisette is a badass, and you’ll feel like one, too, when you play her tune.

“Thanks for Nothing” by The Downtown Fiction

I love upbeat songs to listen to when I’m feeling sad or heartbroken. It reminds me a lot of “Gives You Hell” by the All-American Rejects. I love to dance to this song with my best friend as we smile and say “screw you” to the people who hurt us.

“I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Loved You)” by Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin has the best songs to belt out like you’re a Grammy-nominated singer. Turn up your sass level, put on the clothes you feel hottest in and sing this song to the mirror or in the shower. I promise you will feel ten times better.

“Hell No” by Ingrid Michaelson

This song reminds me of driving in a car with my friends with the top down in the middle of the summer. Enjoy life and smile more. Feel strong and love yourself because you are amazing and trust me, you were amazing before your ex and you’ll be amazing after them too.

“Goodbye to You” by The Veronicas

I recommend putting this on as you get rid of everything that reminds you of the person who hurt you. Afterward, repeat this song but sing and dance around to it with a pretend mic in your hand.

“Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld

You know that moment when your friends tell you to get dolled up and go out with them to a party? It should be accompanied by this song playing. Honestly, I probably listen to it about once a week just for a confidence boost.

“Miss Movin’ On” by Fifth Harmony

You’ve went through the sad, denial phase of a break up. You thought it was the end of the world, and you didn’t know how to live life without a reminder of that person or your time together. You were angry and hated how things panned out, or that they’re already with someone new, or how they treated you. Now it’s time to rediscover yourself as a newly single, hot, young woman with the whole world ready for her. It’s time for a fresh start, and this song, this closing song, summarizes all I just said in three minutes. Things will get better, but if you need a little extra boost, then I hope these songs can help.

Photo Credit: 1

Attending the University of Pittsburgh and just choosing to be happy every single day! :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt