6 Simple Tips to Minimizing Mid-Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

It’s about that time of the semester where we are close to hitting the halfway mark. Professors are beginning to crack down hard and your work load may be increasing, causing you to feel more stressed than you’ve felt so far this semester. With finals coming up in just a few short weeks, you’re probably thinking to yourself, ‘how am I going to get through all of this?’ Here are a few tips that will hopefully relieve some stress from your hectic life, and help you regain focus for the rest of the semester ahead.

Time management is key to keeping your life free from as much chaos as possible. In order to have some sense of order in your life, write down your homework on a daily basis into a planner and any other extracurricular that you do as well. Write times and days next to when things are due or when you have to be somewhere, and plan ahead when you will sit down to get your work done. If you can see all that you need to do right in front of you, it will make things easier. Looking at your list may be a little overwhelming at first, but if you check off things as you go, a sense of accomplishment in all your hard work will surely bring a smile to your face.

Another great way to relieve stress is through exercise. Dedicate around thirty minutes of your day at least three to four times a week to physical activity. Not only is being active healthy, but it is also relieves stress and provides a quick getaway from reality. Walking, running, bike riding, hiking, lifting, cardio, dancing, swimming, or playing sports are all great ways to be active. SUNY Oswego has two gyms on campus, Glimmerglass and Cooper, that offer many classes, all of which can help you relieve some stress! Here are some links about the on-campus gyms and activities if you are interested!

http://www.oswego.edu/student/residential/fitness_center/facilities.html

http://www.oswego.edu/student/residential/fitness_center/group.html

Let’s say you’re not a coffee drinker; you don’t like energy drinks or maybe you do, but you want something healthier. Green tea is your answer! Green tea not only benefits your health by providing you with natural antioxidants, but it also contains a large source of caffeine that will give you just the right amount of boost you need. Any kind of herbal tea can pose as a relaxing drink, and certain studies have shown that green tea can also improve your blood flow and lower cholesterol. When your blood flow is improved, it allows your body to be in a more relaxed state, furthering your journey to stress relief. Hint: If you don’t like the taste of green tea, add some honey in it and it will taste a lot better!

If you feel like you are getting behind in your classes because you have so much work to get done, or your schedule is very hectic, find some time to schedule meetings with your professors. This way you can speak with them about your concerns and they can help guide you. It never hurts to speak up and let yourself be known; it is better that they know you personally for trying, than know you for not trying at all. Most teachers will be happy to help you find ways to understand and make your course load easier. They are a great resource to utilize and since your main stresses are probably coming from their coursework, they are the ones who know how to help you best!

SUNY Oswego also offers a Let’s Talk! program through the Counseling Services Center to all students, that can be a great resource for those who are stressed and need someone besides their friends, parents and teachers to talk to. It gives students that ability to have an informal walk-in consulation with a counselor without the stress of making an appointment at the Counseling Services Center. During the Fall 2014 semester, Let’s Talk services are offered on Tuesday evenings at Seneca Hall in the basement study room from 5:30-7:30 p.m., and on Wednesdays in Johnson Hall room 140 from 3:30-5 p.m. and Oneida Hall in the Piano Room from 6-7:30 p.m. The best part about this program is that there is no paperwork to fill out, no formal intake, no appointments and no fees. Their services are covered by the student fee on your bill so you don’t need to worry about bringing your wallet or insurance card, because it’s FREE! Don’t feel embarrassed if you want to talk to someone; the staff is very lovely and are always there to help when you need someone to listen and give advice. If you are truly in crisis, please seek help at the Counseling Services Center from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. If emergencies after hours, please call 315-312-4416 to speak with a crisis counselor. Here are links to more information if you are interested:

http://www.oswego.edu/student/services/counseling_services/Lets_Talk.html

http://www.oswego.edu/student/services/counseling_services.html

Last but not least, make sure you are getting enough sleep! In order to be well rested, you’ll need about eight hours of sleep every night. Be sure to make time for your health, because without your health you won’t have motivation to do anything at all!

Keep calm and may the odds be ever in your favor! 

I am a double major in English and Creative Writing. Writing is my passion, whether it be creative writing, poetry or journalism. I love sports. New York Giants, New York Rangers, and the New York Yankees. I am an animal lover, fashion fanatic and a hard working student. I am seeking a job position for a fashion magazine once I graduate college, in hopes to be a fashion journalist or editor of a magazine. I would also enjoy working in the fashion industry, even if it means I have to work my way up in the company. I am dedicated, hardworking and willing to learn new things if that means achieving my goals and success for not only myself but those around me as well.