This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Uh oh, it’s 10 pm, 11 pm, midnight…. and you’re hungry. You want candy, chips, tacos, fries, ice cream, cookies, grilled cheese, pizza, and you want it NOW. We’ve all been there. Hold up! Just because the cravings are hitting you hard at night, doesn’t mean you have to ruin that body you’ve worked so hard for during the daylight hours. It also means you won’t have to starve, because here are a few great snack ideas for the late night munchies.

Almond butter on half of a whole grain bagel 

If you love peanut butter, try almond butter—it’ll blow your mind. My favorite is Justin’s all-natural maple almond butter. Pure heaven. It’s also great in homemade milkshakes for special occasions.

High fiber cereal with low fat milk or yogurt 

GoLean, multi-grain Chex, Weetabix, Total, Grape Nuts, the list goes on and on. For the gluten-free, try Van’s Honey Nut Crunch or Trader Joe’s Cranberry and Maple Nut Granola. Add some strawberries and blueberries for sweetness and extra yumminess! They’re also packed with antioxidants.

Frozen banana slices with cocoa powder and/or cinnamon

This is a cool idea if you’ve got a sweet tooth. Slice up bananas during the day and sprinkle them with cocoa powder and some cinnoman, maybe some coconut shavings, then stick them in a plastic container in the freezer. By night time, you’ve got an awesome frozen treat. 

Apples with peanut butter

Not just for kids! Simple, satisfying, and genius.

Stove top popcorn

People for decades have talked about popcorn as a great low calorie snack, but they weren’t talking about the microwavable kind that all us collegiettes™ are familiar with. If you don’t cook, don’t worry! All you need is corn kernels, oil, a little bit of salt, and a saucepan. Check out this recipe for the how to. Get fancy by adding parmesan, chili pepper flakes, or a tiny bit of peanut butter!

Frozen yogurt

Homemade, of course! Try taking an ice cube tray and filling each square up with a spoonful from a large cup of your favorite flavored yogurt. Then, just stick it in the freezer. Get creative by adding some fruit. Nom!

Hummus with high fiber crackers

Protein and fiber! If hummus really isn’t your thing, try a hard boiled egg on a cracker with a pinch of salt.

Celery and low fat cream cheese

Not much explanation behind this one. Food of the gods. 

Warm tea

Good for the soul! My favorite tea is peppermint, or green tea will help your metabolism. Make sure it’s caffiene free, unless you need a little boost for that study sesh.

Turkey sandwich

Or any lean lunch meat, on whole grain bread. Maybe add some mustard, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, spinach… Ooh! Maybe some avocado… 

Cottage cheese

Some people hate it, and for others, it’s an obsession. Many love the sweet and savory combo of cottage cheese and fruit, or cottage cheese paired with veggies, like celery and carrots. 

Dark chocolate (just a little!)

Honestly, there are few things better on Earth than chocolate. Dark chocolate is especially efficient at increasing serotonin and can help curb that untimely appetite. 

Ounce of pistachios or almonds

Simple, right? Nuts are commonly critisized as red flags for fat content, but almonds especially are an excellent source of protein and do wonders for the body including: building stronger bones and teeth, lowering bad cholestral ad heart attack risk, nourishing nervous system and brain funciton, and lowering rise of blood sugar.

Feel free to enjoy these tasty snacks any other time of the day too! At night especially, try to avoid sugary foods, or even fake sugary foods (aka sugar-free jello and yogurt), as you’re more likely to be unsatisfied. If you’re thinking of making your own snack creation, edge towards less carby and more protein-rich foods. If you just need those carbs (we all know how that feels), try going with something high in fiber so you’ll stay full longer. It’s recommended that you not snack too late in the evening on a regular basis… But once in a while, indulge in one of these healthy snacks, and stay guilt-free.

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.
The official Her Campus Oregon account