5 Tips for Sticking to Your New Year’s Fitness Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

As we entered the New Year, I’m sure many of us had some kind of health or fitness related goal, whether it was going to the gym more frequently, eating better, or both! Now that we’re just over half way through January, can you say that you’re still sticking to your goals? Sometimes it’s hard keeping up with our resolutions, and it’s easy to slack as the year progresses. Here are some tips that could help you get back on track, or help you stay on track!

1. Create goals

Do you want to start going to the gym more often? Do you want to add more vegetables to your diet? Whatever it may be, set a goal for yourself. With that goal, create short-term milestones that will help you reach your ultimate goal. These short-term goals will help motivate you to stay on track. Without motivation or goals, it can difficult for us to stick to anything.

2. Create a journal

Find a journal that will be your fitness and health journal. In this journal you should track everything! Track what you’re eating, what exercises you’re doing, and how you’re feeling. Sometimes writing things down, such as food intake, makes you more aware of what you’re putting into your body. You can also track down your goals in this notebook as well. Write your ultimate goal as well as your short-term goals so that you can make note of your progress, and, if you meet your goal, you can create an a new goal that will further you to your desired end result.

3. Support

Talk to your friends and family, or whoever you are around most often. Tell them about the goals you want to achieve, and let them know the ways you are going to achieve them. By letting them know, they will be more aware of what you are doing, and hopefully they will support you and not tempt you to stray from your path. Even better – they may even decide to join a workout class with you!

4. Plan

If any of you are like me, you know how to plan and make lots of lists! Every Sunday night, I like to plan out meals and snacks that I plan on having each day of the coming week. This may sound excessive, but it helps me when I go to the grocery store because I’ll have a list of the essential foods I need so I’m not buying random groceries that aren’t necessary. It also helps me be aware of the foods I’m eating, and it helps me not eat so much throughout the day. If I’m ever hungry and want a snack, this way I’ll always know that I have healthy snacks to pick from.

Besides planning out meals, I also plan out a workout schedule each week. Here at Oregon State, I like to take the Fit Pass classes that Dixon offers. I prefer taking classes because it keeps me motivated and I give up on myself too easily if I workout alone. Because my schedule changes a little bit every week, on Sunday nights I like to look at my upcoming schedule and look at the Fit Pass schedule and see what classes I would be able to take. Once I find classes that fit in, I put it in my planner because I’m more obligated to go to the gym if it’s part of my schedule.

5. Enjoy your workouts!

One of my least favorite things to do is cardio. I’m not the best at it, and it has always made me resent working out. I found that taking the Fit Pass classes helps me get a better workout, plus I actually enjoy going to the classes, which helps me stay motivated and makes me actually want to go to the gym more frequently. Find a type of workout that you enjoy and stick to it. If you don’t like the workouts you’re doing, you’re not going to want to continue working out and you probably won’t get the best workout in even if you do end up going.

These are just a few tips that can help you stick to your health and fitness goals. This may or may not help you since everyone approaches health and fitness in different ways, but give one or two of these tips a shot this week and see how it goes! It’s all about finding what works for you and find what you enjoy. Good luck, and have fun!