Wellness > Health

4 Things to Make Sure You SMASH Your Next Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

1.Wearing the right gear.

Okay, we’ve all been there. You get to the gym and start running on the treadmill, then suddenly you find yourself pulling your leggings up every 20 seconds. No one wants a trip to the gym to be wasted by their outfit choice.

Wear what’s best for your workout for that day! A nice tip is to wear clothes that support the muscle group, or cardio, that you’re planning on focusing on or just wear those go-to workout clothes you know you’ll feel great in!  

Knowing the difference between clothes that work best for the gym and which ones should be used for comfort is going to be a life saver. Plus, if you feel good in your clothes it’s super motivating to keep yourself going! 

2. Make sure to plan ahead!

Some days you you walk into the gym and immediately know what you’re going to do, but other days not so much. There’s been a few days I’ve gone to the gym and just blanked!

Planning ahead is a great tool to kill your next workout! Watch YouTube videos, find workout plans, make your own list for the day, or a schedule for the week. This will help to get you in and out of the gym quickly, maximize your time, and push you to go further than you normally would!

3. Eat a healthy pre-workout snack or meal! 

Girlies, this is so important!! Junk food before the gym will linger and hold you down during your whole workout. It feels awfuuuul.

No worries though! Because if you eat healthy, you’ll feel healthy to smash out your workout.

My main go-to snack is anything high in carbs and protein, and low in fat. Fatty foods (this is mostly unhealthy fats because healthy fats are a BEAUTIFUL thing!!) will make you feel sluggish.

Fuel your body with foods that will make you LOOK and FEEL your best because you deserve it!!

4. Great music!

This might just be the key to unlock an awesome workout! Have an awesome playlist/ Pandora station to get you PUMPED before and during your workout!

Some of my personal favorite stations on Pandora (right now) for a great workout is Chris Brown, Khalid, The Weeknd, and Demi Lovato.

Find songs that make your body want to get up and dance and, at the same time, kick ass in the gym!

With these 4 tips, you’ll be more motivated to break a sweat and love it at the same time!

Hi everyone! My name is Cailee Navarro and I'm from Saratoga Springs, New York. Coming to SUNY Oneonta as a Communication Studies major, I've found my love for writing through Her Campus. My favorite content includes life, health, and fitness but I also love exploring other niches as well! hcxo