This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So we’re about a month into term (I know, where did the time go?!) and probably by now you’re starting to realise you really don’t know people until you start living with them … So the question is how do you keep your house sane whilst the washing up starts to pile up and mid-term deadlines are fast approaching? Well, one way I can definitely recommend you can keep your housemates happy is to bake something yummy for them. Whether it’s a traditional Victoria sponge or something chocolatey, all manner of your own housemate sins can be forgiven in an instance if you fill your house with the glorious smell of baking.

Baking has a long tradition in the UK but ever since Edd Kimber charmed his way into our hearts as the winner of the first series of GBBO back in 2010, baking fever in Britain has been sky-high. The best thing about baking is that it’s fun, simple and all the ingredients are really cheap – you don’t have to buy all the branded stuff, the own brand and the basics stuff is just as good. It doesn’t matter if you’re not the next Nigella, loads of my most trusted recipes involve the all-in-one method which does exactly as it says on the (baking) tin. Just weigh the ingredients, whizz them up in the same bowl, pop in the oven and you’re good to go.  (Just remember to set an alarm… burnt brownies are just as bad as no brownies!)

Baking totally counts as a legitimate form of procrastination but if you want to extend your commitment to putting off work for as long as possible (a personal talent of mine!), check out a few of the inspirational baking blogs on the web. My personal favourites are: www.mybakingaddiction.com and www.bakerella.com but if you’re after something a little more achievable head over to the BBC GoodFood website or www.bakingmad.com

At the end of last month, HerCampus Nottingham celebrated our first birthday. Here’s the recipe for the brownies I baked for our MacMillan Coffee Morning. They’re one of my favourite things to bake and they taste absolutely delicious! If you can bare to share them with your housemates I promise they will love you forever!

175g Dark Chocolate
175g Butter/Margarine
3 Medium Eggs
250g Caster Sugar
75g Plain Flour
40g Cocoa Powder

1. Preheat oven to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4
2. Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
3. Whisk eggs and sugar in a separate bowl until thick
4. Mix in the chocolate & butter to the eggs & sugar
5. Sieve in the flour and cocoa
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is crusty, but the brownies are wobbly underneath
7. Enjoy!

With thanks to Laurie Gray and Natalie Reckless

Edited by Caroline Chan

Alice Dirks

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!