Back to Reality Breakfasts: 3 Quick and Easy Recipes to Get You Through the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Breakfast: the so-called most important meal of the day that we so often ignore. With all the best intentions, I’ve been the girl on the avocado on toast hype; I’ve been the girl shovelling down Coco Pops while I’m doing my hair; and I’ve been the girl running for the 34 bus at 8:53 on an empty stomach.

This year however, I’m pledging to make a difference to my previously poor dietary habits. Summer is almost over. It’s dawning on us that soon the lie-ins end, the early mornings begin, and we’re back at uni again. Soon we’ll be trekking up Portland Hill considering it a workout, dying under mountains of work in the sauna that is Hallward library, and questioning, “how badly do I really need this degree again?” While your mum might be miles away, it’s true what she always reminded you – breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.

SKIP NO MORE (THE SCIENCY STUFF)

If last year you skipped more breakfasts than you did lectures, and you actually want to make it through your 9am this time around, those few extra minutes in bed might not actually be worth it. When we’re asleep our bodies continue to work repairing cells, rejuvenating the brain and restoring bodily functions. Now admittedly I’m no biology student, but it seems to be pretty much common sense that we need breakfast to replenish the energy used while we’re snoozing, and kick-start the day. The benefits of eating a nutritious breakfast include, but are not limited to: a reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes, the prevention of heart disease, better weight management and improved memory. So more (healthy) food in the morning = less revision in the afternoon… right?

Eat your heart out with one of these super easy recipes!

1. Overnight Oats

Number one because you don’t need to lose any sleep to make it! Prepare your overnight oats before you go to bed and pop them in the fridge ready for the morning. All you need is:

• 45g of rolled oats
  • 1 banana
  • Handful of blueberries
  • 125ml of unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
  • Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon to taste.

Mix it all together (in a jar if you want a good Instagram) and leave it in the fridge overnight. Feel free to experiment by adding other fruit, cacao powder, chia seeds, or whatever else takes your fancy.

2. Chocolate and Banana Pancakes

A little time consuming, a lot enjoyable. Mash the banana and mix together:

• 1 ripe banana
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 packet of sweetener
  • 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 pinch of baking powder
  • 80g of either almond flour or chocolate protein powder

Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over a medium heat and scoop the batter onto the pan. Cook until lightly browned and the bottom appears set, flipping half-way. In total the mixture should make 2-3 small pancakes.

3. Red Onion and Spinach Scrambled Egg

Forget just throwing some egg and milk in the microwave, and get out your pan for this protein-packed breakfast with plenty of iron. Dark greens like spinach are important for skin, hair and bone health, and full of all the good stuff your body craves. Fry the onions first, then throw in the below ingredients for a quick and tasty start to the day. Add salsa on the side if you wish.

• 1 large egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • Handful of spinach
  • ¼ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Salsa

Edited by: Jenine Tudtud

Image sources:

http://static.thefrisky.com/uploads/2013/02/26/jennifer-lawrence-food4.gif

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/TheDailyLike/emmastone-yum.gif