samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Going Through Midterms, as Told By Rihanna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As a student at a university that goes by quarter systems, I have the (mostly) unpleasant experience of having classes a whole month later than my friends at other colleges. This extra month not only means a later school year, but also seeing all my friends complain and wallow in the misery that only finals can bring. And as I breathe a sigh of relief, I remember a little thing called “midterms.” Yep, as a majority of other college students gear up for their last exams of the year, I and other quarter-system students head into the dreaded land of mid-quarter exams. At Northwestern, these can happen as early as the second week of classes, but right now, at the literal middle of the quarter, midterms are in full swing. And to help us through the many stages of this stressful time is the ever-glorious Rihanna.

At the start of midterm season, you are rearing to go, all full of energy (or as much energy as an NU student could ever have). Game-face on – you’ve got this!

But as soon as you say “hello” to studying, you have to be ready to say “goodbye” to your social life, sleep and even human contact.

You thank your lucky stars for those professors and TAs that are guardian angels for actually telling you what’s on the exams. And they even hold extra office hours, full of answers to your most burning questions.

But, be prepared for those other profs. You know, the ones who keep their midterms a secret to the last minute, making you sweat profusely everytime that class even crosses your mind.

And you just know the exam for that particular class is going to tear you to shreds, because there are always those unexpected problems to trip you up.

Plus there are those classes that are just impossible sometimes. Econ, Stats, anything science are just there to drive us all insane!

In addition to those tests, there are papers to write and whole books to read in the meantime. 

By the third exam of the week, things start to get way too real and way too emotional all too fast.

At some point, you just snap and lose sight of why you’re even doing this stressful work for. “Screw You” becomes your attitude at all of your responsibilities.

But no, you’ve worked too hard to give up now. You got into Northwestern for goodness’ sake! You got this!

Your friends have your back too! They give you added support and when you slay those exams, they’ll look at you in awe and respect.

With that added vigor comes also comes some added attitude. Oh no, that girl did not just steal your fave study spot. This will not stand.

You know it’s getting a little out of hand when your snap at the barista because they forgot to put that fourth shot of espresso in. 

Hey, nothing should stand between a girl and her coffee.

There’s so much stress, cramped hands from all the typing and sleepless nights that by the time the weekend comes along, you and your friends just cannot make yourselves go out. You’re barely alive as it is.

But when it’s over, or at least when there’s a brief period of no exams, you feel a slight wave of relief. 

And then when you think about all that the summer has to offer, including no exams, professors or due dates (for the most part), you cannot wait.

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!