This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Although it may seem like the semester just began, midterms are right around the corner. If you’re like me and the thought of having midterms next week completely freaks you out, you’re in luck. I’m here to give you tips to make sure you go into your exams with a composed and confident mindset.

Leading up to midterms week…

Talk to your professors now and ask them for a study guide or what topics will be on the exam. Having a good understanding of the material in advance will help you in the long run. 

Begin preparing. Create flashcards, make study guides, create colorful outlines, or whatever works best for you. Writing things out is actually an effective form of studying.

Organize group study sessions with other peers in your classes. I underestimated the power of group work until last semester. It’s amazing how much your classmates can help you. Sometimes hearing the material from a different person makes all the difference. 

Go to office hours now versus next week when your professor will be insanely busy. Asking questions a week before the exam not only looks good, but it will take some of that stress away. 

Study little by little everyday. Studies show it is more effective to study in intervals over a longer period of time will result in better grades. Learning information over a week is much smarter than cramming in half a semester’s worth of information the night before.  

On the day of your midterm…

Go into it with positive thoughts. Positive thinking will take away stress and overall have a beneficial effect on your body.

Have a confident attitude. This will also make a significant impact on your performance.

Take deep breaths and clear your head when you sit down for your exam. This is a big one for me. My dad always told me to breathe before I take a test. I can say from experience that this helps calm my nerves and it gets me in the zone.

Remain calm and composed throughout your test, even when a question trips you up. I know how frustrating it can be when you get stuck on a question, but the last thing you want to do is panic. Stay poised and you will find a way to get through it. 

I wish you all the best of luck with midterms! When your midterms are over, spring break will be here! Stay strong for this last stretch and make yourself proud. With diligence and hard work you will be incredibly successful.

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)! 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.