Nostalgia, A Collegiette’s Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
The feeling of nostalgia has begun to take over. It’s the beginning of senior year! You are finally here! Well, most of you are. For those of you in your senior year that still have to endure another, just hang on, you too are still making it happen. You have almost made it through those dreadfully long lectures, sleepless nights at the main library cramming for exams and the jitters from too much coffee every morning. While you are so wrapped up in getting the job done, don’t forget to appreciate the journey. You are among the select percent of students across the world that attends college today.

The best memories we have are the ones we appreciate when they are actually happening. I’ve always wanted to be able to share with my children the journey I am going through at Michigan State. Those are the stories that will inspire them to create their own. Hearing about our first college class, running into that cute boy at the coffee shop or even meeting your best friend. Ladies, the friendships you build in college are vital. These are the women that will probably be walking down the aisle as your bridesmaids. That’s scary yet exciting to fathom. So, when you find yourself caught up in the moment, even if you don’t snap a picture, cherish that moment!

Nostalgia (no-stal-jee-uh)
noun
A wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one’s life, to one’s home or homeland, or to one’s family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.

Don’t forget to have nostalgia for your college days.
My name is Michelai Asanti Graham and I am a dual major in Journalism and Media & Information at Michigan State University. I came to Michigan from Sacramento, California to follow my dream. I am the youngest of six woman and a singe mother. I grew up in a very empowering and feministic household. I've explored videography and editorial writing and have found a niche for both at a young age. I am still building my skills set but I will become an expert investigative reporter to direct my own documentaries of what I find. These two careers go hand in hand to me. My experiences array from screen writing to producing to poetry and even camera operation. I thrive from my curiosity and creative thinking which powers my urge to explore and learn more. I am the Chapter Journalist for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Epsilon Epsilon Chapter. I am the coordinator for Daughters of the Collective: Mentoring and Research Program. I love novels, films, candles, incense, coffee, tea and discovering new music. Her Campus has become the perfect avenue to share my experiences with you! Enjoy my work and I will enjoy yours with much gratitude. xoxo, California Girl.
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber